post baby bodies?

Belle

i had this too (particularly in my ankles) and i was told that it is pregnancy related. i was told that it is due to the relaxin hormone which helps the pelvis expand to accommodate the baby but impacts on the tissue of joints in the body.

Here's a small bit of info:

Relaxin - A hormone secreted by the placenta in the terminal stages of pregnancy. It causes a softening of connective tissues (cartilage and tendons), so that the bones at the front of the pelvis can separate, making it easier for the baby to be born. Unfortunately, relaxin also affects the tissue of other joints, loosening them. These changes may persist for several weeks after delivery. Therefore, most physicians advise expectant mothers to avoid vigorous weight-bearing exercises during the later stages of pregnancy and for a few weeks after birth.

Belle - I run to Peckham Rye Park (maybe 5-7 min to get there for me) and then try to keep to the grass. I have lots of aches and pains (sciatica mainly) but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

new mother - does it hurt on the heel? that is planters fascitis. I had it in pregnancy and it flared up a few times after. Extra weight exacerbates it. It feels like a sharp pain in the heel when you first get up or have been sitting still, from the muscles tightening. Stretching the calf regularly helps a lot, as does losing weight.

I agree this is a very theraputic thread. I am still in the early days- just 3 months so a long way to go. At the moment not sure if I will ever be able to run as was crippled with SPD in the last 4 months of pregnancy and still seem to have lots of aches and pains. I think it's the flaming relaxin still but it feels like arthritis.

Does anyone go to BMF on the weekends? would quite like to give it a go as used to be quite sporty....

smiler what is your OH doing up at same time as neighbour goes running or did he just happen to notice (the way men tend to notice attractive females and then get all indignant saying they were just "looking around").. well done you for not attacking him verbally or with the nearest rolling pin!

my baby is now 4 months and i am 4lbs away from pre-preg weight but a stone from my ideal weight (wishful thinking), at mo hate my bingo wings and tummy as per the rest of you, am hoping a weekly swimming session at peckham pulse (nice pool if a bit busy at weekends) will get me started as that is both therapeutic (can actually think clearly while you swim, as opposed to wondering when baby will next want a feed or nappy change) and toning. have used outdoor exercise equipment in dulwich park a cpl of times and that is handy as can just park the pram next to you (and it's free of course) so would recommend that.

i would have gone for baby yoga or something like that but the local gym class costs ?10 a session which is a bit steep for those of us on stat mat pay methinks. roll on re-opening of dulwich pool that's what i say.

i've never made the thurs morning one in the park (starts at 10am) but that is supposed to be very good - has floor /mat exercises as well as pram pushing :)

if anyone fancies setting up a free power pramming group one afternoon let me know, maybe we could all motivate each other enough to resist the temptations of the ice cream van and cake at the cafe?!

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well.....since last posting on this thread I have

> started running 3 to 4 times a week and have

> managed to loose about a stone, maybe a bit more.

> My weight now seems pretty 'stuck', but I still

> seem to be toning up, and hoping long term it may

> just drop a teeny bit more -

You probably need to introduce some interval training into your runs. You need to keep upping the intensity if you want to keep on losing weight. The body is so efficient it just learns to adapt if you do the same thing everytime. Ideas are blasts of fast and slow or repetitions of hills. You will soon see a difference to your general pace and figure.

Lots of people on this thread have said they don't think they have the time or energy to exercise. The hardest part is probably getting into the routine. once you have a routine going it will be much easier. Make sure you are 6 weeks post Vag birth or 10 weeks post c-section. There are loads of things that can be done to fit around the baby (especislly if it is with your first). I used to walk miles with the pram when my first would have his lunchtime sleep. I wore my shoes out. I was so determined to get rid of the flab. You can do DVDs at home when the baby is in bed. You will feel much better for it.

Powerpramming (which I run) is on Mondays at 12.30 on Peckham Rye and Thursdays at 10am in Dulwich Park. It is not a full on style of class like BMF but it is a good way of returning to or even starting exercise after pregnancy.

If you can motivate yourself to exercise then great but if you cannot there are loads of post natal exercise classes in the area - we are spolit for choice.

Don't forget the most important exercises are also pelvic floor ones!

If anyone wants any exercise advice feel free to call me on 07976 778413. My websites are www.powerpramming.co.uk and www.asfitas.co.uk

Sorry could not resist joining this thread.

Thanks Liz - good advice, I have been doing some hills etc. (Nunhead Cem hill is a killer, but I can run all the way to the top now - with great pride!), and will try more of that and altering speed etc. as you suggest. It is so easy to fall into a rut as you say. Running faster is the biggest challenge for me, and usually I then have to walk a bit whilst I recover, which makes me feel that I am not doing as well as running non stop for 30 mins etc. but your post has motivated me to think again about this!

I'm sure some professional advice is more than welcome on this thread, and I would fully endorse your Powerpramming sessions for anyone who wants to return to exercise post baby, I really enjoyed them back in the days when my eldest was a baby.

Molly

x

Thanks molly. Yes, it was great fun starting them up. It is nearly 6 years ago now - can you believe it?!

Try these sessions (they are not for beginner's):

Speed

Warm up at brisk pace for 7-10 mins

Run your fastest for 30 sec

Run at a slow recovery pace for 1 min

Repeat this fast/ slow pattern 5-6 times

Cool down at brisk pace for 7 - 10 mins and finish with a really good stretch.

Hills

Warm up and cool down as with other session.

Run hard uphill for 30 sec

Come back down jogging or walking

Do this 5-6 times.

Let me know how you get on. A word of caution - do not do both sessions in one week. Alternate them weekly. As you are currently running for about half an hour I have altered them slightly from I would normally do with my running groups. When you can run about 45mins - 1 hr then you can increase the number of intervals. Expect them to be hard! But the results are good.

sanity girl, Powerpramming is ?6.50 PAYG or you can get 10 sessions for ?50 or 5 for ?30. No need to book.

The session I described in the post above your one is for the running groups I do which are separate from Powerpramming (just incase it sounded a bit hardcore!).

Hope you can make it.

Molly, just once a week (or even every other week to begin with) and then you can do your other usual stuff twice. This means you are also getting some variety.

duchessofdulwich - you can take it at your own pace. I can honestly say you get all fitness levels. Some people did not do exercise before pregnancy even and some are mega fit and really push themselves. it really suits all levels. We also finish off with relaxation and pelvic floor.

I just logged in to add that if you're new to running joining a "beginners" running course is a good idea - Liz (who has posted great advice above) does beginners courses as do Dulwich Park Runners (a couple of times a year).

My personal "warning" is that running can be very addictive. I started running about 7 years ago, and less than two years after taking my first tentative steps in Dulwich Park ran the London Marathon. Managed to go for a run this morning, but definitely felt the effects of BMF on Monday night, so it obviously worked some muscles that I'd forgotten about.

P x

p.s... I also highly recommend Powerpramming, I went when my 2nd child was tiny (with both kids in a double buggy) and really enjoyed it. As well as getting out and exercising it's a great way to meet other Mums.

I long for exercise to be addictive. It never has been yet. I console myself that I just don't have an addictive personality...which in many ways is a good thing.

Right am going to stop reading this thread is all making me feel even worse about current situation....

snowboarder Wrote:

>

> Right am going to stop reading this thread is all

> making me feel even worse about current

> situation....

Please don't say that. I just came on to give some general advice and also to say that getting started is often the hardest part. When you feel good afterwards it is really worth it. I hope I have not made you feel bad snowboarder.

Ah fantastic thread!!! First time around it took about 7 months to get figure back.....this time around I'm 7 months post-birth and still 1/2 stone heavier than pre-pregnancy. I'm not even going to describe my flabby arms, legs or muffin top!!!!!

I too need to do some exercise!

Snowboarder, you need to read all this in context - both Pickle and I have children older than your little man, AND you've had a really hard time with him not sleeping etc. I think it will take you a while yet to get back up to 'full power'. Anyway, you'll be running after him in the park soon when he's off scootering/cycling/footballing, so bet you'll be fitter than the rest of us put together a year from now!

xx

Urg - work da*ned preventing me from posting - grrr.

I'm a bit phobic about running - it brings back memories of me in Dunlop greens about half a mile behind the rest of the class in X country running, wet through and freezing cold. Shudders.

I've been doing some swimming though - which is great as noone can see your flabby bits once you are in the water and nothing wobbles while you do it. (Bingo wings + star jumps = something air traffic control should watch out for)

New mum - yes it was/is an ex-preggers thing (or at least I hope so, I'm 37), but it's been a while now and has no sign of abating - hmmmm

Belle - thanks for asking. Different thread but work is *&^%. I'm hoping it gets better once my interim leaves but I'm sick of her and others saying what great work she's done. Eff off work peeps - can't you see how inconsiderate that is.

Boo hoo.

I wish we could afford for me not to work...that's a life I'd like (I think).

Sorry for the tangent xxx

I never bothered doing anything until baby 1 was about 13 months old - was stuck at 8 kilos above pre-pregnancy weight at the time and suddenly felt completely fed up. Once I decided it was time to make the effort I signed up with WW online (just for tracking food/exercise and weight loss and to feel accountable) and started watching what I ate and did stupid exercises on the Wii fit (hula hoop anyone?). I did lose the weight in under 3 months time from the day I finally started.

Right now I'm only a week post partum so not the right time to diet but I'm planning not to wait until baby 2 is a year old either! In fact I've already cut out the excessive late pregnancy treats (a third of a tub of Haagen Dazs, a Twix, a bunch of biscuits and a slice of cheesecake pretty much every day) as well as avoiding eating 4+ Digestives during every single breastfeeding session including the nighttime ones (this was my habit with baby 1) but am not restricting the amount of food I consume. Bananas, avocados, fine. Not counting calories. Just no sweets. Not eating high sugar foods helps me regulate my appetite. Must do powerpramming too... must do it... am too lazy... must do it... must do it... in fact I may do it because it sounds like fun :)

I get worried when people talk about going on a diet. That suggests a temporary state of affairs. Better to take this as a great opportunity to get you and your baby set for life. As most people on here seem determined to be doing the best they possibly can for their babies, why not try to do the same for yourselves. All that lovely vegetable puree, and no added salt and organic and freshly made stuff that we feed babies (most of the time) - eat the same but not pureed! Think of it as a way to stop you dying early from heart disease, diabetes, cancer or a stroke.

I am no food martyr, but i recommend a little book i just got for 2.50 on amazon called Food Rules. It is a bit americanised, but the basic rule is 'eat real foods, not too much, mostly plants'. Here are some of the rules designed to help us all eat real food in reasonable amounts. Not all of them but just some highlights that Family Room peeps might like..

~Shop at the edge of the supermarket and stay away from the middle - the fresh food will be round the edge while the processed stuff tends to be in the middle

~avoid foods you see advertised on TV

~avoid foods that are pretending to be something they are not, like fake butter (marg) and non fat cream cheese. all the extra processing does nothing for you

~avoid food that contains ingredients that you do not have in your own cupboard at home

~avoid food containing ingredienets a 7 year old cannot pronounce (variation on the rule above!)

~'the whiter the bread the sooner you'll be dead' - white bread is like sugar so far as your body is concerned.

~sweets, chips, crisps, pastries, biscuits, cakes etc are fine as treats but not every day. Because they are cheap and available we eat more of them than we would if we had to prepare them ourselves, so treat treats as treats. It is fine to have them on special occasions, or even just at weekends, but just because cakes, icecream etc are cheap and easily available does not mean they should be regarded as everyday food.

Non of it is rocket science, but it should help keep us healthy which is more important than being thin. I hope it helps, it is making me think twice as I go round Sainsburys. There are now aisles i totally avoid, and once you get the habit it is easy to stick to. And it helps that I decide what the special occasions are. Leaving the house without shouting at anyone? = bonus almond croissant for me.......