Leasehold- How much should I be paying ground rent (for flat in Barry Road)?

foxtrot

Hi K,

I live in a fairly new flat. My ground rent is ?100 a year and i think the freeholder can set this amount, but i would imagine this is just a minor part of your charge. My service charges are closer to ?1500 so it seems very reasonable.

Might be worth checking if they have what is sometimes called a 'sinking fund' i think where excess on teh service charges goes into a pot to help pay for future works. Also worth checking if there are any works planned for the near future so you are prepared.

Saz

I agree - thats well within the range. If your ground rent is say 250 and buildings insurance (approx 250-270 for a converted flat's share of a 1, 2 or 3 story building, then you are still paying 300 for service so make sure that you get some. They are obliged to show what that Service charge is covering e.g. cleaning costs for communal area, their admin time to sort out the insurance, handling a break in.

You can get pretty anal and legally demand receipts etc before you pay it. Also for any work needing done you can get your own quote and they are obliged to use a cheaper one if you can find it - all info and you rights as a leaseholder can be found at www.lease-advice.org

Or take my approach and decide life's to short and just pay it if it's reasonable -which your's is. Owning sub prime residential freeholds is a weird business run by even weirder people- I've run through the business model before and yet to see how anyone can make any reasonable money out of it!