University- Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Narnia

The following is posted on behalf of bigbadwolf

I've been keeping track of this thread since it's inception and have been genuinely interested in it's track and content. As well as hearing peoples experience of their course and uni life in general.

I went but didn't study for or get a degree. I went for a HNC diploma in Civil Engineering.

I'd never before even considered going to university but when I was working on a big job in Westminster I was a demolition foreman attached to the engineers. I found their profession intrigueing and diverse. I got involved with what they were doing in whatever minor capacity I could. In turn, they were impressed with the way I supervised the structual removal of a section of floors and gave me a heads up to the head honchos of the company.

I was invited to a meeting at the head office and was asked if I'd like to go to university to study engineering on their tab. I'd be released from work every tuesday and spend a the whole day in lectures and the laboratories. I had to work the remaining 4 days of the working week. To repay the company I signed an agreement that dictated I would contractually obliged to work for them for a further 2 years. I couldn't work for anyone else even if they offered more money.

This set up was ideal for me. I found the study quite difficult at first but I had the benefit of working with actual engineers for the remaining 4 days and I learned a great deal more about what I'd learnt in class such as figuring out how to work the theodlodite, leveling scope and all the formula's and equations that went along with measuring loads and stresses. My progress was also reported to the company to make sure I wasn't bunking off and that I was meeting my coursework deadlines. They had a vested interest in their investment after all.

I didn't really like uni life in general. I was a bit older than the majority and I seriously disliked the whole "lets go and get pissed after lectures" attitude. I also found them rude towards the lecturers and surly. After about 5 p.m I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Anyway...

What I'm trying to explain are the visible benefits of studying on a bursery agreement. The student doesn't have to worry about the massive debt they'd be otherwise saddled with. Also, in most cases they'll get to put what they've learnt into practice which in my experience was invaluable to make sure I passed and gained the credentials.

A lot of companies (especially the construction and heavy engineering industry) are waking up to the benefits of sending their employee's to study on their ticket. It encourages the individuals faith in who they're working for and makes the firm seem an attractive candidate to developers who are tendering out work because they know the contractor investing in it's work force will deliver a competent package of works carried out by competent individuals. It also shows the Commission of Investing In People that they're willing to give their people an advantage in their future career in an industry that most people don't want to be involved in.

The attitude towards going to university is, like most things, influenced by peoples attitude to class. If people started viewing vocational jobs/trades as the respectable jobs they are, then less people will feel pressured into going to studying for a job that's percieved to be "more respectable in that I wear a suit and wont get my hands dirty". A good friend of mine is a general building contractor who did an apprenticeship and he earns a lot more money than I do.

Over all I'm glad I went. It's given me the credentials to be independant and live a comfortable life. Bearing in mind that I don't have any dependents or real responsibilities like a mortgage.

The Chair Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I didn't really like uni life in general. I was a

> bit older than the majority and I seriously

> disliked the whole "lets go and get pissed after

> lectures" attitude.

I don't see what's so wrong with that... you never go to the pub after work?

> I also found them rude towards

> the lecturers and surly.

I didn't really notice much of that, but if I had, it would have put me off too.

[its nice that BBW is in the inner circle now and can delagate his posts to The Chair. Fantastic, good work BBW.]

However I think the trouble with going to "Uni" as either a mature student or on bursery is that it takes all of the fun away from it.

Sorry, but Uni should be for 18 year olds and people who are growing in maturity. Its one of the biggest tests in life. Often its their first time away from home and often it is a long way from home.

If you are of a different age when attending then fair enough but don't slag off younger people who are going through the biggest change in their life, and at the same time trying to achieve great academic success, which is a survival of the fittest and a test of how their maturity has grown over the 3/4 years.

• 1 month later...

Mick Mac Wrote:

> >

> However I think the trouble with going to "Uni" as

> either a mature student or on bursery is that it

> takes all of the fun away from it.

>

> Sorry, but Uni should be for 18 year olds and

> people who are growing in maturity. Its one of the

> biggest tests in life. Often its their first time

> away from home and often it is a long way from

> home.

>

> If you are of a different age when attending then

> fair enough but don't slag off younger people who

> are going through the biggest change in their

> life, and at the same time trying to achieve great

> academic success, which is a survival of the

> fittest and a test of how their maturity has grown

> over the 3/4 years.

innit bludz

localgirlwithdreads Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Personally I think Higher Education should be a

> > privelige not a right. It's been devalued.

>

>

> Yes this is true. Most of the youngsters

> graduating from university nowadays are extremely

> thick.

incorrect

I am sure 30 years ago something like 10% of 18 year olds went to uni/poly to get a degree. now it is a lot more- and govt target is for even more ( think of all those nurses).

I do not know if it was actually the top 10% cleverest people that went, or that it is the top say 25% now that go - It is the most supported/ educated/motivated that go- and always has been. It was free for me to go 30 years ago, 95% maintenance grant -it was that, or joining the forces ( in my parents opinion). So a no-brainer for me to leave home. I do feel so privileged to have made it to poly when I did.

My son hopes to go to uni next year and he is far cleverer that me academically, but does not have the same life skills I had at 18- I just hope he enjoys it and makes the most of it- I think I was probably too shy/chippy to get the best out of it- lots of middle class know-it- alls were quite scary en-masse, but it can't be like that now if so many more people go can it?

• 3 weeks later...
On a slight tangent to the original question posed, how many of you or people you know of, actually used the degree they obtained to start a career post uni? My son will be doing an Economics with Spanish degree and I just wonder what he might be able to use if for if he gets it.

> how many of you or people you know of, actually used the degree they obtained to start a career post uni?

Loads - including most of the people I work with. And even if you go on to work in an unrelated area, a degree is a pre-requisite for a lot of jobs.

Declan Wrote:

> My son will be doing an Economics

> with Spanish degree and I just wonder what he

> might be able to use if for if he gets it.

That sounds like a degree perfectly tailored for a job at a selection of UK high street banks.

huncamunca Wrote:

> localgirlwithdreads Wrote:

> -----

> > ???? Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Personally I think Higher Education should be

> a

> > > privelige not a right. It's been devalued.

> >

> >

> > Yes this is true. Most of the youngsters

> > graduating from university nowadays are

> extremely

> > thick.

>

> incorrect

Snorky ?

Ultimately, further education buys you choice. I was tempted to drop out of school at 16 but my parents/teachers persuaded me otherwise. I ended up having a fantastic time reading Law with Politics at university. I 'grew up' during that time, made friends for life, partied loads, and still studied enough to get a good degree. I am still a lawyer. If I hadn't gone to uni, I might still have done very well but I wouldn't have been able to have the same career as I do now.

I would recommend uni to anyone who has the required academic ability, whether they are thinking about going at 18 or 48. Of course there will be people who see it as a three-year drinking binge, but that doesn't detract from the fact that obtaining a good degree from a decent university is now a pre-requisite for many well-paid professional jobs. A degree is obviously not sufficient in itself - you still need business acumen, people skills, common sense, the right attitude, etc. - but at least it may mean that your CV won't be rejected at the first hurdle.

I admit that the very best-paid jobs in the world often don't require higher education at all (supermodel, top actor, footballer, being The Queen) but these are not realistic options for the majority of the population and often require a combination of unusual natural talent plus bucketfulls of sheer luck.