Suspicious activity - Underhill Road (reported to police)

ruthmct

Pictures of the outside of a house would capture information on:-

Whether a burglar alarm (or at least a bell box) is fitted

Types of windows (sashes etc.)and if there are visible locks

Types of door and likely door locks

Whether windows are left open

Side entrances/ doors, locks

If there is screening] e.g. from shrubs etc

All in a few clicks, for later perusal.

Although much of that could also be picked up from the Google street view!

Mayae we have criminals without internet access here

Thank you all for your comments. My elderly neighbour, who was the one who saw the photos being taken, was looking out of a bedroom window on the first floor. She said the men were standing on the pavement immediately in front of our paved front garden (we don't have a gate). She thought the camera appeared to be pointing towards the house, not the scooters, which were near the front and to one side of the garden. They definitely weren't taking photos of the street environment. Unfortunately she couldn't see a registration number.

This seems the most convincing explanation so far

I think the photographs are normal council procedures as I've noticed them doing this when they've picked stuff up from us in the past. I assumed they wanted to cover themselves in case it's alleged they took away something they weren't supposed to.

and it could be my neighbour was mistaken as to what was being photographed.

But this was what was going through my mind....

Pictures of the outside of a house would capture information on:-

Whether a burglar alarm (or at least a bell box) is fitted

Types of windows (sashes etc.)and if there are visible locks

Types of door and likely door locks

Whether windows are left open

Side entrances/ doors, locks

If there is screening] e.g. from shrubs etc

I wouldn't actually object to people taking pictures of my house - after all I do similar things when I'm on holiday. It just makes me nervous when it's 7.30am and it's two guys in a lorry. I'd rather let the police know and they can decide whether it's part of a pattern and when to worry. We've got the house pretty secure as our insurers insisted on us meeting certain levels of security.

There was a message on my answerphone today from the safer neighbourhood people, who are going to call round to discuss my report.

Ruth

and twenty minutes later I had a visit from a police officer and colleague from the Safer Neighbourhood team who have taken down as much detail as I could give them, and will be talking to my neighbour as well. They also felt that the photography thing was rather strange.

Ruth

I've walked up and down my road (Landells) taking photos with my phone on several occasions recently, because I'm doing my house up and I am pinching ideas from the nicer decorated houses. Then again, I don't wear a council jacket whilst doing it!

Where are the defenders of our artistic freedom? They were screaming blue murder a few weeks back about the right to take a picture of what you want without being reported to the police...oh hang on a minute this is property not other people's children....property owners your fear is understood, not like those stupid, obssessed over protective parents