How about a best greasy spoon poll?

David Mc

Isn't this thread going on in some other post at present?

Anyway tried The Uplands cafe on Saturday - HUGE fry up for only ?4, all cooked to perfection and the service was the friendliest I've seen in ED (the floor staff actually spoke english for a start!). Good all round really.

EDKiwi-wee-wee

I is often enjoying friendly service from me no English friends at East Dulwich and i is liking very much.

Me friends they sometimes speak gooder English than me English friends.

Uplands Cafe is on Uplands Road just along from the Uplands Pub...

What else have we got - there's that one a couple of doors down from The Green on the north side of East Dulwich Road, and one 50 yards further east on the south side of the road. There's the one almost next door to Sea Cow, and the one next to Apollo video. What about the one sort of opposite the station?

They should give them names...? ;-)

Does Blue Mountain count if this is about a fry up - I like their Full Monty?

re uplands cafe - that's me told. will pay more attention in the future :)

As for more greasy spoons (and again I'm failing with names) there's one on the corner of Lordship Lane and Crystal Palace Rd that looks good, though I've never been in. And one futher down Crystal Palace Rd, just beyond the crossroads with Goodrich.

From lordshiplane.co.uk:

All Fired Up, 34 East Dulwich Road, tel 020 7732 6688

Blue Mountain, 18 North Cross Road, tel 020 8299 6953

Dulwich Caf?, 89 Lordship Lane, tel

Grace and Favour, 35 North Cross Road, tel

Grove Caf?, 39 Grove Vale, tel

Mon Petit Chou, 53 Lordship Lane, tel 020 7564 3800

Plough Caf?, 351 Lordship Lane, tel 020 8299 6954

The Lane Caf?, 135 Lordship Lane, tel 020 8693 0181

Tulip Cafe, 41 Lordship Lane, tel

A friend recommends Jack's Tea & Coffee House at 85 Pellatt Rd.

Am I imagining it or is there also one on Melbourne Grove in that parade of shops with GM and Booteeki?

Mikhail, I've got nothing against non-english people....I AM one! I just don't like when people come to an english speaking country & they can't speak english! When in Rome...! Not to move away from the original subject though;

I like Blue Mountain as a cafe, but for breakfast I don't. The reason being that the only eggs they do are scrambled. I'm only a fan of scrambled eggs on the odd occasion and would like to have the choice. Furthermore I don't think I've ever eaten at any cafe/restaurant that serves scrambled eggs that aren't overcooked. Blue Mountain is included.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - i'm new to the forum

I went to the Blue Brick Cafe at the top of Shawbury road the other day and thought it was absolutely excellent, satisfyingly greasy and really tasty. The Blue Mountain annoys me that it only does scabbled eggs and all the other places i've tried down Lordship Lane always have really runny beans. Bubble and Sqeak up near the green rates high on friendlyness and surrealism.

The one on the corner of Lordship Lane and Crystal Palace Road, is definitely worth a try - taking a walk in Dulwich Park or taking a trip to the Library are both geographically apt excuses for a sly visit!

It is incredibly popular during the 'builders breakfast hour', 6-7 am, so if you are after a sneaky bacon sarnie before you head to work, you'll need to be leaving the home at least 10 minutes earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

forget the rest of the greasy spoon cafes around, the only one to go 2 for a real fry up, home made pies, roasts, lasagnes... the list goes on is the one and only

Tulip cafe!!!! on lordship lane. :p

fresh food and not swimming in grease....and not overcooked scrambled eggs!!! :)

very clean!