Bendy bus eradication and fare increases

OutOfFocus

if the drivers of bendy buses were not locked into some sot of security cube and would open the doors when the bus was stuck in traffic between bus stops then they would be fine, but if you are stuck for 10 mins and can see brixton tube station but can't get off they are blXXdy annoying. Some of these drivers are just zombies.

if the drivers of bendy buses were not locked into some sot of security cube and would open the doors when the bus was stuck in traffic between bus stops then they would be fine, but if you are stuck for 10 mins and can see brixton tube station but can't get off they are blXXdy annoying. Some of these drivers are just zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, the blessed 149 which fills quickly, leaves quickly and is followed quickly (well that is my personal experience every day so sorry if it clashes with anyone else's opinion of the 149)

i am that rare thing, born londoner who doesn't hate bendy buses. the rest of the world that cares to interest itself in London looks on at us and laughs (i know this for fact) at our reaction to them.

plimsoul Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yes, the blessed 149 which fills quickly, leaves

> quickly and is followed quickly (well that is my

> personal experience every day so sorry if it

> clashes with anyone else's opinion of the 149)

>

> i am that rare thing, born londoner who doesn't

> hate bendy buses. the rest of the world that cares

> to interest itself in London looks on at us and

> laughs (i know this for fact) at our reaction to

> them.

plimsoul, the 149 is directly comparable with the 48, which also fills quickly and leaves quickly. What's the advantage? At least on the 48, queue-barging is a bit trickier to pull off!

From my experience of using the 48 and 149 - there is a noticeable difference loading up large numbers as one has a bottleneck of checking upto 84 tickets and the other is done in constant(-ish) time.

From my recollection before the introduction of the bendy bus at London Bridge the queues would sometimes quadruple back on itself - taking maybe 10 to 15 minutes in bad weather before you were aboard and on your way.

As I suggested it depends on the route to whether it is appropriate but in terms of shuttling people between LS and LB imo it's the best solution during the rush hour.

I was in Berlin the other weekend. The double-deckers they use there are much longer than what we have, they have stairs at the front and back and 3 doors. They would work here as they have a steering rear axle like the large national express coaches and could easily cope on the roads the bendys use now.

• 2 weeks later...

You are not alone I think its a shame they are going. Get Boris out before he does anymore damage to London.

plimsoul Wrote:

> yes, the blessed 149 which fills quickly, leaves

> quickly and is followed quickly (well that is my

> personal experience every day so sorry if it

> clashes with anyone else's opinion of the 149)

>

> i am that rare thing, born londoner who doesn't

> hate bendy buses. the rest of the world that cares

> laughs (i know this for fact) at our reaction to

> them.

they are a menace to road users. barry road junction with peckham rye is always blocked by parked bendy buses. there are many small roundabouts that cant be used by bendy buses.

the other problem with them is they are so long you cant really overtake, you certainly cant as a cyclist.

also, they cannot be towed. they knew that when they bought them. so if they break down they have to be fixed where they broke down causing even more congestion.

i must say i miss conductors now. i find it irritating and feel sorry for tourists who are told you have to pre-pay at certain stops.

Fine I think we all agree there are some routes - a la Barry Road and alike - that are not appropriate for the bendy bus but can we also agree that examples like London Bridge to Liverpool Street is actually an improvement having the BB over the DD?

BTW, it's the commuters I feel sorry for when tourists jump aboard a double decker struggling to find the coins at the bottom of their bags...

plimsoul Wrote:

>the rest of the world that cares

> laughs (i know this for fact)

xxxxxxxxxx

You know for a fact how the rest of the world feels?

Blimey! You could make a fortune in market research :))