Bendy bus eradication and fare increases

OutOfFocus

I am confused about the reasons for the change - apart from spite on Mr J's part.

One of the arguments against bendies is that fare dodging was easy because you get on at any dooor (conversley the fast load time is a benefit).

But on the non bendy 521s you still can use any door. So what has changed.

Then to claim the new buses are more green is fatuous if you throwing away bendies to use them. What is happening to the discarded BBs

I wish Boris would bring back routemasters, hop on hop off is so much easier than bendy busses and less dangerous for cyclists, with the oyster scheme there should be less dodging of fares, i live on barry Road and the bendy busses are so noisy and squeaky and further more the route master is an icon for london. I heard there is a new very efficient version that has been designed and will hopefully brought in to replace the dreaded BB on some routes. lets hope they start bringing it in on the 12 route. I would use it alot!!Any thoughts on this?

Here's a link about the new Routemaster I posted in the general discussion area a couple days back, I'm sure I have seen a more up to date one showing a front door for wheel chair access somewhere but haven't found it as yet.

New Routemaster

As I was saying in my post in the other section, I heard that the old Routemasters cost TFL a lot in payouts to people injuring themselves getting on and off the back at places other than bus stops, so that may lead to the new Routemasters having doors at the back.

Will be nice to see the new versions out on the road, but at ?200,000 each, they seem a bit pricey.

Edit: Just been reading his article, looks like we'll all end up paying extra for Boris's new toys.

Boris's future rides on a new bus

iaineasy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wish Boris would bring back routemasters, hop on

> hop off is so much easier than bendy busses

Having nearly killed someone jumping off an RM between stops I beg to differ.

Of course it would be his bl**dy fault if I had run him over but I would rather not have to live with the feeling of being involved in a serious accident.

(I maybe slightly embelishing the story. It was some time ago but I did have to swerve to avoid him).

Eradicating of the bendy bus seems daft, wasteful and expensive - it does seem that Boris is pursuing a personal grudge. Surely if they're not working out, just don't order any more of them.

Regarding the "green" issue, I'm sure the bendy buses will be sold and re-used elsewhere, but it still seems like a waste of London's resources.

I have no inclination to defend Mayor Boris but my understanding is that the bendy buses are leased on a fixed term contract and BJ has decided not to renew that contract. So they're not being scrapped as such. I agree it seems to be a point of principle for BJ which is not entirely backed up by evidence.

Bendy?s are bad. They are too long for London streets. They cause untold congestion when blocking junctions. They are expensive on the maintenance side (like catching fire too). They well known as the "free bus" - not sure the new ones will help in that regard. TfL are currently running at a significant loss. I can well believe it, passing tens and tens (on my bike) of more or less empty buses queuing up along Brixton Rd, Fulham Palace Rd to name a couple.

I do think the public in this country do have the power to influence the decision makers - if they care enough to get organised. Bus Conductors are major case in point - they are sorely missed by many. Employment opportunity or what? Nag your councillors, MPs etc. Would you pay a little more if it led to conductors returning to the buses?

People want routemasters because they remind them of times gone by. I too loved them, and being able to run for one and jump on as it pulled away was very useful for those of us who are usually late in the morning.

However, the new ones will not be the same, it'll be like a modern Beatle, or mini, just not right!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

star13uk Wrote:

> Bendy?s are bad. They are too long for London

> streets. They cause untold congestion when

> blocking junctions. They are expensive on the

> maintenance side (like catching fire too).

It will take at least 2 double deckers to replace one bendy, so that is even longer !! and blocking junctions is entirely the drivers fault. The catching fire thing has only been true in London, although these buses are used around the world. Around 4 years ago I have witnessed a slightly mad rasta man lighting a series of matches and throwing them around inside the nr 436 bendy bus. I wonder if it was him to set fire to all those buses..

star13uk Wrote:

> Bendy?s are bad. They are too long for London

> streets. They cause untold congestion when

> blocking junctions. They are expensive on the

> maintenance side (like catching fire too).

It will take at least 2 double deckers to replace one bendy, so that is even longer !! and blocking junctions is entirely the drivers fault. The catching fire thing has only been true in London, although these buses are used around the world. Around 4 years ago I have witnessed a slightly mad rasta man lighting a series of matches and throwing them around inside the nr 436 bendy bus. I wonder if it was him to set fire to all those buses..