The Council won't replace the damaged tree in Dunstans Road

I figure that living in a depressing or non-depressing neighbourhood does actually have medical effects.

Unfortunately what is no doubt of benefit to NHS costs is of no value to council budgets. Our systems are not (yet?) that joined-up.

But it is clear that making a budgetary decision isn't unreasonable, but hiding it in some sort of 'it's for your own good' policy is disingenuous. On another thread I have suggested lower profile trees/ shrubs that would cause less root damage and occupy less pavement space than the (albeit glorious) London Planes. (And it was a more modest tree which would be replaced here anyway). One issue raised (not unreasonably) by Mr Barber on his thread is that trees would require tending - and keeping a tree small and in control would take more than is normally allocated to tree maintenance. However, I would have thought that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility for street residents to 'adopt' trees and care for them outwith the tender (??) mercies of the council. The trees do after all add to their environmental benefit. Rowans and silver birches are reasonably shallow rooted and take a long time for their trunks to achieve any girth. Birches are slightly drought sensitive (being shallow rooted), but recently drought does not seem to have been a problem, locally.

Since the council doesn't really care that much, maybe it's time for some guerrilla gardening?

All good points, Penguin68, but I'd be perhaps more optimistic about this:

>>I figure that living in a depressing or non-depressing neighbourhood does actually have medical effects.

>

>Unfortunately what is no doubt of benefit to NHS costs is of no value to council budgets. Our systems are not

>(yet?) that joined-up.

There is more and more hard evidence for the health and well-being benefits of 'greenery' and space in the urban environment and I know that Cllr Hargrove of Southwark's Park and Open Sapces is keen to explore local environmental ideas that promote health and well-being. Perhaps before long 'promoting health and well-being' will be a box that needs ticking in other areas of the council's activities too.

It seems that the new size for tree pits is something of a one-off on the part of Southwark, if my conversations with tree personnel at the council are correct. Most other councils do not adopt this policy, I believe.

More info on why the new rules are being adopted are needed.

There's some rather interesting stuff on the Mayor's website about trees!

https://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/environment/greening-london/re-leaf

I'd be interested to know how many of the 20,000 London street trees Southwark benefitted from.

Even without grants etc, the Forestry Commission Standard Costs for London suggest it would only cost the council ?373.00 to plant a ?standard? tree. Not much when you consider the price of some of the tarmac and granite that's been installed recently.

Hi Kit... have been to buried to type, but I'm really pleased that you have created this petition and I will try to help when I get a bit more free time.

Can you do me two favours?

1. Can you post the direct url for the petition... it looks like the one you posted is diverted via Facebook somehow and it would be better to circulate a shorter url.

2. Can you give me the nearest house number to the treepit on Dunstans road, so that I can swing by and have a look?

I'm working out a cunning plan, more soon when I can type!

catma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have the same situation re a tree in my street -

> it was diseased so had to go but it was a lovely

> tree and with the new rules they won't replace.

> Although bins can be left all over the pavement,

> reducing the width with impunity it seems.

Ask the Lib Dems to take it up - they will back anything that will bag them votes.