> not there. I felt like a complete fish out of

> water. It was dreadful, they were a most

> unfriendly rude lot.

>

> I was overjoyed to return to Dulwich - my home of

> twenty years, and to see familiar friendly faces

> everywhere. People in Sainos, in the dry cleaners

> on Lordship Lane, the library and the coffee shops

> all say hi and are generally warm and welcoming.

> I think it is a great idea for us all to say

> hello, but I feel Dulwich is generally a happy

> welcoming place to be already.

dm dont worry they were probably just bleating.

hi to all,

Peckham-Perkster: like your spirit, i also say hi to groups of yout and usually find them pretty civil. Beneath the sulky, moody exterior is a timid little bwoy trying to find his way in life. When you say hi you remind him that he is just a friendly soul like you - the posing is all for his bredren.

Not quite so sure about the mums with prams though. Sometimes, yes - but then sometimes a MWP is having a very stressy afternoon having had a totally tetchy morning. Forgive them. As a DWP I always offer a cheerful hi. (dear Bald-Marauder I am out there in solidarity with you, so keep it up. Together we can get through to all the grumpy Dads.)

When it comes to greeting people in general, i tend not to do it so much after dusk - the rules of the street seem to change a bit by then - oh, and if people are serious about this, please take off your sunglasses! OK so you look dead cool and all that but you also look incredibly aloof and unfriendly and if i say hi to you i cannot tell if you are looking at me or giving me the evil eye. And whilst we are on this, the Draconian side of me says sod the mobile phone ban for drivers - let's BAN mobile phones for pedestrians - it's so rude to walk along the street conversing with a disembodied spirit.

citizen

If you are bloke, smiling to a woman might be a bit frowned upon by the woman. Smiling to a bloke could also be misconstrued by him. I've done it a few times, but have had mixed responses. If you smile to a friendly looking person of either sex who is not a pensioner, it's a bit hit and miss as they sometimes think you are being a bit pervy. It's a tough one, as I like to be friendly. What think, Forumites? Nero :-S

Well I said hello to the lady who owns the black cherry. I've met her a hundred times, my brother sells them wine, I know all her children and my good lady has the fellow irish thing going. Her reaction? You'd have thought I was about to mug her!!

I may have to not bother with hellos, obviously I have an adverse effect!!

monica Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> lol im reading and giggling to myself about saying

> hi to each other.Dont know if anyone as seen or

> heard the guy who whistels at people and if you

> look at him he asks you what you are looking

> at.Today he walked by and a guy just said hy and

> the whistler started swearing at him and asked him

> who the hell he was saying hi at,so please say hi

> when you are walking around ed but ignore

> him,unless you fancy a arguement

Ha ha, we call him 'Mr Clanger'. Just whistle back at him, it's quite funny.

I've seen him directing traffic a few times whilst stood at junctions, to the bemusement of passing drivers.

The smiling-at-a-lass-if-you-are-a-bloke thing is a good point, Nero. I'm pretty circumspect about it, ie try to judge whether a cheerful hello would be welcome or not. However, the best solution is to go around with baby or toddler. I guess most women do not find a man-with-child a threat in the same way as they might a single chap.

citizen

Well, I am a single girl & got a smile from 2 guys yesterday on my way to the dentist. A hello gorgeous & a hello beautiful. Didn't feel scary or wrong. Made me smile & say hello back. they were just being nice. As I hate going to the dentist then gave me a spring in my step & made me smile. So keep on the hellos. As I'm a Northern originally tend to smile at folks & usually gets a favorable response. Happy days

I was walking along Underhill Road with my super new haircut yesterday when 2 men cycled past.

One said "phwooarrrr" really loudly. I tried not to look disapproving but was secretly thrilled.

The other cyclist then said, "Yeah that creosote smells something terrible doesn't it?"

They hadn't even seen me.

*crushed*

I was talked about in a coffee shop this morning in portugese,thankfully i understood what they were saying and it was all very nice,it got a bit much though as the guys were making rude horrible and smutty comments about all the ladies in the shop,so i looked at them smiled and said goodbye in their language,shock registered and i left,thought it was hilarious

Been implementing this smiling and saying hello thing for a couple of days and it does seem to work better when the sun's out. Think it's a cracking idea - used to work on an army site where it seemed practically obligatory and it improves the day. But isn't it horrible when you get ignored - or worse, rejected? Greeted one of my upstairs neigbours with a (really probably too loud) 'Evening' last night and he looked at me like I had taken too little medication. But I shall persist.