Interesting story about CSM Dry Cleaners

How much the blushing bride did or didn't spend on a dress is hardly the point here, is it? Whilst I (were I to be a woman, about to get married, etc) wouldn't spend 2k on a dress either, there are plenty of things I have spent big on which others would no doubt consider to be frivolous.

Does it matter how much it cost either?! Clare - If it was a ?20 shirt and it came back in tatters with half of another shirt sewn on the bottom, would you smile meekly and say "oh well.. thanks for trying!".

If CMS has new owners then you have to feel a bit sorry for them, but surely if you buy a business, you check-out if there are any pending actions or judgements against that business before you cough-up?

However, if the company director and secretary are still in their posts (as the article says) then they're still profiting from the business whilst trying to avoid paying-up what they owe. In which case it's hard to feel sorry for CSM at all.

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is obviously a 'girl thing'.:))

I'm a girl, and I think 2 k for a wedding dress is ludicrous. I think you could justify 1 k for a really good dress that you'd wear a lot (that's called an investment), but 2 k for something you wear once and then stuff in a cupboard? That's money down the pan. I speak as someone who on occasion spends a few hundred on a bag.

I don't think anyone's trying to justify what the cleaners did Bob, but after the first couple of posts I think all that needed to be said had been said about that. I just thought I'd bring the price of the dress in to it for a laugh really. That said, when I read the article, I found it hard to feel overly sorry, because the woman sounds rather materialistic. Still, if she has money to throw away, good for her. Bet she doesn't tip when she eats out though ;-)

What I don't understand about this story is why was only the top quarter original? Had the rest been taken off and used in another customers alterations who might have come in and said 'any chance bringing some life back into this old garment?'

I am sorry but I do think that Susie is being unfairly treated here, she obviously put a great deal of time, thought and emotion into her dress and how much that may have cost in terms of ?ss is irrelevant. She wanted a dress that would be memorable for a variety of reasons, one of which was presumably her choice of husband, and all the memories that she had invested in that dress have been ruined. She must have been devastated, I know I would have been. CSM don't appear even to have offered to apologise, and to add insult to injury have tried to evade their legal obligations, (let alone the moral ones).

If this happened to someone that I knew I wouldn't concern myself with how much she might have spent, or why, but with trying to help her achieve some kind of recompense.

Here Here Amelie. Sometimes, some peoples comments can be so one-sided. Why should any of you be concerned with what she paid for her dress. Her perogative, she may have saved for ages for this one special day, or could have used inheritance money, or whatever whatever. Dont be mean about the poor girl, she is the victim here.(6)

Being upset about having expensive possessions trashed isn't a girl thing, just a fairness thing. Whatever it cost and whatever its sentimental value the dress was destroyed and the people who did it tried to lie their way out of it. That's a nasty way to conduct business and if others want to slag 'em for it then fine.

I worked in a DC as a teen and saw how upset people can be over ?20 shirts getting damaged so it's perfectly understandable Susie is upset.

As for her sounding materialistic and her dress costing too much, the fabric of that argument is threadbare.

AP

Boom Boom!!! :))

Look, I think the cleaners were / are well out of order, and it's inexcusable whether it was a t-shirt from Primark, or a 2k dress....

I was just saying that in my opinion, it's a silly amount to spend. And it's not because I'm a bloke... I showed this thread to Mrs Keef, who's response was "who bloody cares?". That doesn't make my fair lady an uncaring, harsh bitch... Infact, she cares more about people / kids / the world than most people I know, but in the great scheme of things, who cares!?!?!?!? :-S

However, I am sorry for you Susie, wherever you are, I imagine I'd be livid in your place!

Indeed, all of you detractors regarding the value of this wedding dress - have any of you spent a fortune on photographic accessories for example? Haven't some of you got some very pricey lenses?

Well boys, they are for taking photos of us girls in our expensive threads, and don't you forget it!

DM

TillieTrotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm sure youre not being totally unkind here Keef.

> But can you imagine taking your beautiful Gibson

> Les Paul ?????? into a repair

> shop.....................................!

I'd kill the mother f****rs!!!!!!!! But at least I play my guitar (well remembered on the make!) quite often though... Sure the photographers use their lenses more than once too ;-)

I know that the cleaners did wrong and tried to wriggle out of it - they are bad puppies and IF it happened to me/My kin, I would ensure that should I not get my money back, then they would pay the damages several times over indirectly.the b@stards.

I was just commenting however that ?2K on a bit of frilly fabric is a bit OTT.She shoudl ahve waited until the sale and got it for ?1K