Which is the best Wifi enabled cafe to work out of in the area?

stardust

I like working in Toasted and Brickhouse Bakery. Excellent wifi, nearly always tables. I always buy food and drink and if I think one is getting busy I go to another one - with a little consideration, laptop workers provide a source of welcome income for cafes.

I justify the spend to myself as being in lieu of travel costs to an office (and I keep the receipts as tax- deductible).

Hi Stardust,

La Scala Coffeeshop on Grove Vale has wifi, there is almost always a seat, and they seem quite happy for people to ensconce themselves in their with a laptop for a while (so long as they buy a drink at least!). They also do the best coffee I have found in the area and the couple who run it are quite delightful. They even have a small garden at the back.

In case you're not familiar with this wonderful establishment, here's a map.

I hope to see you there some time!

I work from home 4-5 days a week. I have a home office. But I like to go out sometimes in the middle of the day. Buy a coffee and a slice of cake and spend 40 minutes to an hour (max) in a cafe. What's wrong with that?

If you work in an office, you have to travel to work. This means you have to leave the house, go for a little walk etc. If you are a home worker, this doesn't naturally happen. If you don't go out - say to a cafe for a quick coffee - you may end up not leaving your house for the entire day - which is not good and leaves you in a bit of a funny mood.

This is why some people (like myself) go to a cafe to work. Not to stay there all day. But to leave the house for an hour. I don't understand why people are so upset about the whole laptop-in-a-cafe thing and I think perhaps some people misunderstand the intentions of home workers in cafes.

My ten cents.

robbin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> None - get an office or work at home! Don't buy

> one coffee and take up space for 2 hours - it's

> antisocial and not exactly good for the business

> concerned!

>

> How about a library?

Agree-The other day I popped into the brickhouse and brought a cappuccino Loaf of bread and a large salad to eat in.

A total spend of around ?13. As all the long tables were full of mums and babies I wanted to sit in a square table,

only two had spare seats however the other person on each table had Laptop, telephone,notebook etc etc meaning I had the tiniest speace to eat my salad and drink my coffee, no room to spread out the magazine Id brought with me to enjoy over my lunch. one of the laptop workers was drinking a san Pelligrino the other a coffee. It was 1.30pm peak lunch trade.

I think its selfish to hog a tabletop to 'work' from when others on their precious lunch break have to squeeze into a cramped space because of it.

People working from cafes should be sensitive and avoid peak times. Or perhaps cafes should impose a table time limit like resturants do

If the cafe owners (especially the independents) were detrimentally effected enough to care then I imagine they would implement limits on laptop "squatters".

Newwave - you spent ?13. Is it not possible that the heinous laptop criminal bought lunch there earlier or later? Maybe a few coffees in the morning and a sparkling water too?

And What about all those bloody stay at home mums bringing their work into the cafe? A baby and a buggy takes up a lot more space than a laptop and a fizzy water.

I think the anger may be being directed at those who use 'common' facilities without considering the impact of their behaviours on others. Which has spilled over onto those who match the primary characteristics of the first group but are, in fact, cognisant of the needs of others. There are mums who allow their children to disturb others without even attempting to do anything to rein them back. There are home workers who occupy cafe spaces (often tables for e.g. 4) for a much longer time than 'normal' cafe turn-overs would anticipate. Not every mum, or every homeworker (or even a majority) - but enough to make those who are neither wary of being with them. Or indeed angry that their pleasure has been diminished because of them and angry 'in advance' should it happen again. Or avoidant of the enterprises which encourage or allow them.

Of course this type of classification means that mums who monitor their children's behaviour, home workers who are sensitive to occupying space without 'paying' for it get blamed for something they are not doing, but we are animals that have succeeded by our ability to model situations and make rules - and this is just an example of that.

Angharad_L Wrote:

> If the cafes really hated it, they could just turn off their wifi.

Exactly. Or they could issue time-limited logins. Or turn off wifi between 12 and 2. Or take away the power outlets. It's up to the businesses to set their own policy. Who are we to say what is good for them? Maybe they find laptop workers an overall boost to business, maybe they find them a massive pain, who knows?

Exactly. I can't believe this thread is still going, however, I'll add to it's already abundant length by adding (again) that whatever the anger of a few individuals is, working for marketing week magazine I have seen so many studies that show NOT having wifi is far more financially detrimental to small businesses like cafes and coffee shops than having it ever will be. So suck it up, either ask to join a table with a spare seat or go somewhere else.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> I want a list of cafes that are wifi-free and

> neighbour-friendly, please!

Well, not all Caf? Wi-Fi users are on laptops.. many will be discretely using ipads / ipods and mobile devices.

Catching up on emails or sending one .

Outlets without Wi-Fi could well find themselves with very few customers.