Siberian cat needs re-homing

Lucyalexandra

Hi there. Our two year old siberian cat called Mischa is forever hunting and bringing in birds, frogs and mice. A neighbour recently complained to us about her and asked us to keep her indoors for two weeks as there is a birds nest in their garden their kids are watching and they were upset to see Mischa trying to maraud it. Does anyone have any ideas about a suitable home for a cat who loves to hunt? I wish I could find a friendly farmer with room for her! She will hate being cooped up and I do think we will need to re-home her. She isn't really suited to families as she can be overly playful and run after ankles and things. We have three kids and I was fine living with her and her idiosyncrasies until this complaint. She does need a watchful eye on her when the kids are around and i would sometimes keep her contained when necessary, with access to the cat flap. A real cat lover who doesn't mind her idiosyncrasies is what is needed. She is very affectionate to her adult companion when she feels so inclined. She is intelligent and very loving when she wants to be. Any ideas anyone?

I will try it and thanks. but I think that ultimately she is going to cause strain with the neighbour who complained so I may be better finding her another, hopefully loving home ... she will continue to hunt and if they really don't like that I suspect the bell will lessen the success with the hunting but won't put an end to it ...

Any cat would go after a birds nest, surely? It's in their nature.

Do your neighbours not have other cats who go into their garden?

It seems a shame to give up your cat just because she does what all cats do - and I say that as both a cat lover and a bird lover ......

no, it is cat instinct. I think your neighbour is being unrealistic. If you cat isn't there another will come along - yours is probably not the only one to prowl the gardens.

A bell will help warn little creatures but they could put a protective net around the nest or use a repellent, like this one, which will keep all cats away (not just yours).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Cat-Repeller/dp/B004SGC75S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441451723&sr=8-3&keywords=catwatch

I'd be mortified if my neighbour said I should get rid of my cats because they go in their garden. I'd probably buy them one of these.

Cats hunt! I think your neighbour is being unreasonable too. I'd much prefer to see a beautiful Siberian cat doing what it's designed to do - sadly it's one of life's harsh lessons. Cats eat birds. Birds eat worms etc etc. bet they don't mind seeing the odd worm being hunted to death to feed the chicks.

Sorry. Ranting. But sad that you feel you have to re home your cat.

Cats can just kill for the heck of it and will not always eat what they have killed! It is more that they are triggered to perform hunting behaviour, and enjoy it. Two possible solutions; one is that your neighbours take measures, as described above, to keep puss out of their garden, the other is to start to play games that tap into and allow your cat an outlet for its strong instinctive drive to hunt.

You could buy one of these and put it by the nest. The birds don't hear it but the cats do. I used it to keep the neighbours cat from crapping in my garden and it seemed to work. Although the cat also knows there's a random chance it will get the hose if it tries it when I'm about so that message might also have sunk in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Cat-Repeller/dp/B004SGC75S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441499269&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+repeller

Archived