Any other petrol stations in ED?

Portlon

Twenty years ago there were several more around here: one (or were there two even) opposite Goose Green playground, one of which was SG Smith. Then there was what's now the car dealers (SG Smith?) in the Village. One up Denmark Hill by Salvation Army. Two on Camberwell New Rd near the Green. At least one more on Walworth Road.

Are cars more fuel efficient now? Or do they have bigger tanks? Or are there fewer cars? Or just busier petrol stations?

Map showing all the local petrol stations here, although the prices are out of date, and the BP on Peckham Road is now closed.

http://www.whatgas.com/index.html?LatLng=51.45747,-0.07623&Zoom=13&MinLat=51.43141&MaxLat=51.48350&MinLong=-0.13065&MaxLong=-0.02181#.VenDuvnF98E

And in answer to Reg's questions, there was a recent article in the Economist, showing that the number of petrol stations has declined by nearly 80% since 1970!

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21661001-though-plenty-gas-being-guzzled-filling-stations-have-become-scarcer-running-empty

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Twenty years ago there were several more around

> here: one (or were there two even) opposite Goose

> Green playground, one of which was SG Smith. Then

> there was what's now the car dealers (SG Smith?)

> in the Village. One up Denmark Hill by Salvation

> Army. Two on Camberwell New Rd near the Green. At

> least one more on Walworth Road.

>

> Are cars more fuel efficient now? Or do they have

> bigger tanks? Or are there fewer cars? Or just

> busier petrol stations?

There was also a petrol station in Underhill Road, just before the junction with Barry Road.

Growlybear Wrote:

> Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Twenty years ago there were several more around

> > here: one (or were there two even) opposite

> Goose

> > Green playground, one of which was SG Smith.

> Then

> > there was what's now the car dealers (SG

> Smith?)

> > in the Village. One up Denmark Hill by

> Salvation

> > Army. Two on Camberwell New Rd near the Green.

> At

> > least one more on Walworth Road.

> >

> > Are cars more fuel efficient now? Or do they

> have

> > bigger tanks? Or are there fewer cars? Or just

> > busier petrol stations?

>

> There was also a petrol station in Underhill Road,

> just before the junction with Barry Road.

I remember that but can't remember if it was part of the car dealers there or just beside it. I once bought a car there and the guy was just like Arthur Daly. He told me the motor was a real bird catcher or words to that effect.

The one in the Village next to the stocks was a Jet service station.

Petrol stations closed because the margins on fuel retail are minimal - ISTR it was about 1p per litre at some point. And consumers are so price-obsessed - I can't think of any other commodity about which people care about price right down to a tenth of a penny!

The petrol stations that survive now do so are really just convenience stores - the petrol is just a way to get people through the doors.

The petrol station in Underhill was a car dealer, a petrol station and an auto-repairer. When I was a young driver (nearly 50 years ago) this combination was very common - I'm not sure I can think of anywhere now locally where you could buy a car, get it repaired and fill it up.

thehomme Wrote:

> I saw that this morning. What's going on... is it

> legal and who has the right to move them on?

I'd imagine they're travellers, the cops have decided it's a civil matter and none of their business (and tbf that's usually accurate at law), and somewhere a landlord is trying to get a court order to regain possession of the land.