-------------------------------------------------------

> This is the best frame grab I can get from "In

> Which We Serve".

>

> I'm not convinced the ambulance train photo is

> WWII.

>

>

Hi edhistory, if by ambulance train you mean the photo I posted then it's not a train, it's the river emergency boats which were deployed from Cherry Garden Pier in Bermondsey during WW2. The photo belongs to one of the nurses: http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/women.html

• 2 months later...

I've loved reading the stories here. My dad's family lived in Whately road, in fact I was also born there although my parents moved away soon after. He used to tell me stories of hearing the bombs and the bombed sites then becoming their playgrounds. He also told me he and his brothers played in a 'skiffle' band in the Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition).

I wonder if anyone remembers the Nicholsons who lived in Whately road? My uncle and cousins were still living there in the 80's but I've since, sadly, lost touch.

The reappearance of this thread has reminded me of the discussion about the whereabouts of the chimney shown in the bottom photograph in the post by Brand New Guy on 19 December 2016. Looking at an OS map published in 1916 http://maps.nls.uk/view/103313402 there is a dye works shown just south of where Peckham High Street becomes Queens Road. The map shows in plan a circular chimney. Would this be on the correct trajectory?

edhistory Wrote:

> I'm having difficulty in placing the Normnan

> Hurford photograph in 1950.

>

> http://dulwichonview.org.uk/2014/08/27/recycled-wa

> r-stretchers/

>

>

> Attached is a wartime photo with white paint

> black-out rings on the trees.

>

> Anyone?

Well, there's a 56 tram so that puts it before October 1951 when that route finished, so there's your upper limit. Comparing the pictures I'd note first of all that the trees in your wartime picture look considerably more mature than the Hurford shot, also in your wartime shot there appear to be brick walls round the gardens, which wouldn't have been removed even if the railings were - the Hurford seems more likely to be a 1930s shot soon after construction, with temporary fencing awaiting the construction of proper walls. Only guessing though.

• 4 months later...

There is a large article about the stretchers in the Mail online today. It talks about all of the London estates that used them but it appears that the first to have them removed entirely was the Dog Kennel Hill estate. This seems to have motivated opposition but may be too late for DKH railings.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4794898/Campaign-save-London-s-stretcher-fences-used-Blitz.html

Ruskin Wrote:

> Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Brian Green's local WW2 walk.

>

> I'd love to go on one of these walks - if anyone

> has a link, please?

The Brian Green walk was part of the Dulwich Festival in May. Best place to find out about future walks is probably to ask the Dulwich Society...or ask Brian himself, he owns the stationery/art shop in Dulwich village.

While researching my family I came across this thread which I found very interesting and brought back memories from the past. My maternal grandparents Charles and Elsie Bull lived at 92 East Dulwich Grove with their four Daughters. This was the last house before the group of shops before the hospital. I see that the shops are now houses. I seem to remember the shop nearest the hospital was called Cave Austin. No.92 backed onto the railway but I see that it no longer exists.

My Paternal grandmother Elizabeth Norris lived at 24 Whateley Rd with her son (my father) whilst my paternal grandfather Edward lived at 15 and then 21 Darrel Rd before moving to Peckham Rye (no Address) My father and mother got married from these addresses and moved to 25 Worsley Bridge Rd. On the death of Elizabeth my parents with my sister and I moved back to 24 Whateley Rd in 1946. During 1944 my mother was evacuated to Peterborough to have my brother. I was left with my grandmother at no. 24. Apparently at 2.5 yrs old I was very naughty on the 5th Aug 1944 and so was not allowed to be taken out by my aunt and her mother. They were in the queue at the tram stop outside 114 Lordship Lane when the V2 dropped. My mother had her baby 19 days after losing her sister and mother. I went to Heber Rd School from about 1946-1949, but I remember little about it. I do remember almost opposite no 24 there was a corner shop, and in the road outside was an Anderson? shelter. I remember it being knocked down with a crane with a large heavy ball and wondering if he might miss and hit the shop. Other memories include the sound of the tram in Lordship lane and Dog Kennel Hill, and my little dog being run over by a car between a tram and the pathway in Lordship Lane. I also remember that no 24 had an outside toilet, gas lamps and a big built in coal fired washing boiler in the scullery at the rear. The mangle was outside in the Yard and the next door neighbour was called Mr Gingell and he was a plasterer. I can't remember any heating in the house. Charles Bull was an ARP man but I'm not sure how the areas were apportioned.

Very evocative Sirron, thanks for sharing. You have probably also found these two memories of that same Lordship Lane bomb but just in case:

http://www.dulwichsociety.com/journal-archive/96-2013-summer/857-ruth-turner

http://www.dulwichsociety.com/newsletters/45-autumn-2005/178-life-changing-day

and that the plaque put up a couple of years ago to commemorate the victims of the bomb has the names of your grandmother and aunt on it (Elsie and Margaret Bull).

Thankyou very much for the info skylorikeet. No I had not seen the memories you sent and I know nothing of the plaque. whereabouts is it. Ill have to try sometime to visit Dulwhich again and see the various buildings I mentioned and the plaque.