where are the frogs coming from???

Roll on the funny replys on this one

Over the last few weeks upon the late evening inspection of my veg in the garden for snails & slugs i have been shocked by the amount of frogs i have in my garden there is no pond near my garden and i have even had one of the little baby ones trying to follow me back into my house

any other forum fellow gardeners got any??

Are you sure they are frogs? Adult toads only stay in ponds during the mating season - otherwise they live in moist areas of gardens, and not just ones with ponds - this is ideal weather for them to be out and about searching for slugs etc. Actually, unless the weather is very hot, frogs also spend a lot of time out of water.

If you do have either in your garden, don't put poison down for slugs etc. - the amphibians will eat the poisoned slugs and then die themselves.

We used to get loads of toads in our first house in ED (Jennings Road) and still get a few where we are now. The Jennings Road toads were very friendly, always used to come in the back door if it was open in the evenings!

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We used to get loads of toads in our first house

> in ED (Jennings Road) and still get a few where we

> are now. The Jennings Road toads were very

> friendly, always used to come in the back door if

> it was open in the evenings!

Are you sure it wasn't Nunhead?

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> I went into the Deli today and asked the rather

> nice sweet man if he had frogs legs, he replied

> 'No I alway's walk this way'.

>

> Regards,

> Libra Carr.

I've heard worse!;-)

I'd really like some frogs and/or toads, but I'm not sure they transplant easily outside their own territory.

I only have a tiny tiny garden (though crammed full of climbers and stuff and has birds nesting) - too shady for a pond though I keep meaning to try. Do have a bird bath on the ground though, but don't think enough water for frogs?

Anyone know?

We didn't have a water source in our garden yet had lots of toads. They seemed to live mainly under a passion plant that grew over our fence, so it provided shade and damp for them. Not sure how you'd go about encouraging them to move in - don't know if it's as simple as finding some and relocating them?!

I would like some toads for my back garden (small but pretty greensome). I hear that even a small pond - the size of a large dinner plate - would help attract wildlife. I am near to Goodrich School and my garden is part of a big rectangle of gardens, so there must be some amphib-action nearby!

We have a lovely big yellow/lime coloured frog in the garden with black markings. Good point about the snail bait. Anyone know whether organic snail bait that claims to be safe for cats and dogs etc would be safe to use for our frog?

Anyone know whether organic snail bait that claims to be safe for cats and dogs etc would be safe to use for our frog?

If it's actually bait (i.e. to trap snails/ slugs - such as using beer as a bait) then it should be OK, but if its any type of poison then I suspect that if it kills the slugs it will kill the animals that eat slugs (which cats and dogs in the main don't). I am not sure what 'organic' in this sense means - but often it refers to not using chemical pesticides - but there are many organic (i.e. non-chemical) poisons.