Deeds/Land Registry Advice

Tlkamk

Can anybody advise or let me have their thoughts regarding the following - my mum owns her home outright freehold, it says on the deeds when purchased that it is a 2 bed house, however a stud wall partition was added in the large master bedroom to divide it in to 2 smaller bedrooms making it a 3 bedroom property. Planning permission wasn't obtained as it was an internal change, is this correct? How would my mum go about changing the deeds to show it as a 3 bed if she wished to sell? Any advice or who to contact for the first step would be gratefully accepted. Thank you in advance.

I'm in the middle of a flat sale and the ground plans do not correspond to the current layout of the flats in the building. This has had no relevance to the buyers, surveyors or mortgage offer.

Even the removal of a wall that required building regulation approval (which had been correctly applied for and executed, but Southwark has not managed to come up with the paperwork after 3 months) was not a problem as an indemnity policy was purchased for the buyers protection (one off payment of ?190).

If you haven't got a copy of the title documents you can purchase them from the Land Registry and scan the plan then draw the new wall in on your scanned and printed plan. Your solicitor will then forward the new layout to the buyer for their registration with the rest of the deeds.

But it would seem that you needn't bother to do this unless it is requested.

Of course this is just my experience. A solicitor would advise you on this, but I don't think you need worry about it.

Archived