Shops on Lordship Lane

Spoke to the workers in the motor acss shop when it first started the right hand side was to be a new shop for them the old shop to be 3 smaler units and let out and flats above but I think the owners have had second thoughts and it might be all flats

Bob S

According to the newsagents a couple of doors down, the old florists on EDG isn't going to be a shop but a kind of showroom to demonstrate shop fittings - shame.

As for the toyshop idea I think it would do extremely well - sure business is highly seasonal but there's enough money in the area nowadays to thrive.

In my fantasy life I'd often considered opening a top shop on LL based on the one of Beckenham High Street. Surely you've all got nostalgic memories of slightly dusty toyshops stacked full to the ceilings with toys and games and friendly chap behind the glass topped counter full of model trains...

Anyway money aside my other half said I'm too miserable to own a toyshop and it would probably go bust within tweleve months.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I know the toy shop on Beckenham High Sreet - one of the few toy shops with things children actually want to buy. It might go bust with the rent at 30K a year but given that Green and Black are paying 35k for the restaurant half of their emporium - who knows? What to join me in my venture?

Like the idea of a toy shop. Remmeber a great one I used to go to when I was little - it was so amazing to go in and be surrounded by so many toys and they used to run great competitions and the like.

Ooh I remember the toy shop down LL! It had a model train system right in the middle! And stacks and stacks of games and various fun things. The one in the village isn't as fun... It's basically a rich kid's bedroom.

I'd like a local music shop, once a man on the street kept on pestering me "Where is the Lordship Lane Music shop?" "Erm... there isnt one." "No, no there IS one. There can't not be! There's a music shop along here somewhere!!"

I thought he was having me on, but he seemed genuinely pissed off...

There are two music shops in the area

- South London Music is at 54 Grove Vale, http://www.slmusic.co.uk/

- Dulwich Music Shop in Uplands Road. They were originally at that address, moved for a long time to W Dulwich but saw the error of their ways ;-) and returned to ED earlier this year.

Was this the sort of shop your enquirer was thinking about ......

The stall on Northcross Rd... if you mean the one which is predominantly ska/reggae, then yes, it's great! I'm not sure whether an independant music (CDs/vinyl) could survive locally though, I imagine it would be dead during the week.