Parking wardens ticketing near Sainsbury's, LL

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As they should do, ticketing the selfish parkers who leave their cars in the bus lane..

Maybe, maybe not. The area outside Sainsbury's on LL ( I assume OP meant near the Plough?) is not a bus lane but has a restricted parking area. I was ticketed last year when I parked there for a couple of minutes around 8.30 am between 2 big vehicles. I was not obstructing any vehicles. buses or otherwise.

I queried the parking guy who had just ticketed me me why he hadn't also ticketed the 2 larger vehicles between which I had parked. One was a Southwark council waste lorry whose driver was having a tea\coffee in local caf?. Parking guy said used his discretion not to ticket Southwark council vehicles. The other was a scaffolding lorry with a big bloke in the passenger seat. He wasn't ticketed because of "Health and safety" reasons (presumably the parking guy didn't want argument with big scaffolding guy)

I paid my fine but it grated on me. Partly because I was not obstructing anyone but mainly because the parking guy was not interested in free flow of buses, equal treatment etc. but who he could stick a ticket on without upsetting his bosses or causing him a problem.

If illegal parking is delaying other people and enforcement is even handed then I have no problem with people being ticketed. This was not my experience.

There seems to be a particularly jobsworth parking warden doing the rounds at the moment. Springing up on his moped precisely when the restrictions start. I was driving past LL sainsburys local last week at 8.30ish and the parking warden was ticketing a sainsburys delivery lorry! Work that one out!

The same parking warden gave me a ticket outside Burbage Road surgery, even though the ticket machine wasn't working and I'd left a note stating so. I even wrote the note on the blank ticket that came out of the broken machine! But was accused of faking it!

The answer's easy. Don't park in a restricted area and expect to get away with it. There seems to be an awful lot of moaning on the forum from people who park where they shouldn't and get caught.

johannaf's experience re the ticket machine is not good though and another matter entirely.

I agree with you edcam, but I question the need for parking restrictions outside Sainsburys. It's only about 30 metres of bus lane beginning just past CP Rd - it would make little difference if it began after Landells Road. frankly any buses would likely get through the same set of lights in any given cycle.

johannaf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Springing up on his moped precisely when the restrictions

> start.

And what's wrong with that? As has been said a million times on here, if you don't want a ticket, don't park illegally.

The problem is that parking contractors are not actually interested in preventing obstructions - they're interested in issuing tickets. If someone is unloading or dropping someone off, they would rather issue a penalty than ask the driver to move on (in fact, the latter could lead to the warden losing their job). Wardens have quotas to meet, which leads to predatory tactics (e.g. counting down the seconds until the restriction window starts) to catch people out. The objective is revenue, not public service.

Cue the usual high-and-mighty, anti-motorist "just don't break the rules" posts. But meanwhile, in real life, shit happens. Wardens should be using judgement as to whether a ticket really is warranted.

As has been said a million times on here, if you don't want a ticket, don't park illegally.

Of course, this is strictly true, but remember that councils always claim that parking restrictions are not revenue generating gimmicks, but are all about keeping roads clear for traffic, road safety etc. etc. (i.e. for all our good). When it is clear that, in fact, it is being treated exactly as a revenue generating opportunity - without regard as to whether actions are, in fact, leading to those 'bad things' the restrictions are meant to be addressing - and when enforcers are clearly acting to screw as much bunce out or motorists as they can - then some disquiet can be reasonably expressed. I may be wrong, but I recall someone in government recently suggesting that elements of discretion be used in these instances. Starting to ticket dead on the hour of enforcement clearly isn't that.

As a driving ethos utilitarianism (greatest good for greatest number) seems a better model here than a deontological approach (rules are rules without exception - the means justify the ends - to massively over-simplify)

@Edcam

Don't know about other posts on the forum. The complaint in my post was not about receiving a ticket but the inconsistent application of the rules which, apart from being wrong, invalidates the reasons for the parking restrictions.

Have reasonable parking restrictions with clear signs, apply rules fairly and with appropriate discretion (not just letting off your bosses vehicles). Anyone objecting to that would indeed be moaning.

my point is the council's parking wardens give out PCNs when not necessary. Sort their machines out so they work in the restricted parking times and don't ticket delivery lorrys when they are doing their job. Zero discretion is appauling. Plus the attitude of this warden is disgraceful. Rant over.

Agree that some wardens v unhelpful .

But in case it saves anyone else from a ticket - if the machine is not working you need to find one that is or pay by phone .

As johannaf found non working/malfunctioning machine doesn't entitle you to park . Every sympathy with johaanaf and agree warden should have exercised discretion .

I'm neither high-and-mighty nor anti-motorist. I sympathise if machines are buggered and yes, lack of consistency in applying the rules is hugely frustrating, but if, for instance, I dodged tax and got caught, saying that others dodge tax and don't get caught is just a moan. In this case, "shit happens" is being given a ticket you can't wriggle out of.

There are plenty of other examples where rules/laws are in place for a good reason, but nevertheless you would expect the police to show reasonable discretion/tolerance. I don't see why parking should be different - apart from the fact that it's been turned into a business.

But I'm not going to try to argue with you BNG as you've already set your stall out. I strongly disagree with the zero tolerance/discretion approach, or ticketing targets. You apparently feel otherwise. Fine.

It's only about 30 metres of bus lane - if it started a little further down the road just past the junction with Landells Road- it would make no difference to the buses and the clear demand for short term parking outside Sainsbury's would be met. I suspect it may even improve the flow of traffic as a lot of people dither trying to work out whether they can stop or not / looking for laternative spaces.

The signs are clear really no stopping or parking between 7am and 10 am and also 4pm till 7 pm but you can stop or Park between 10 am and 4pm and 7 pm till 7 am also the jobsworth on the scooter can issue tickets at 7

01 not at 8

30 ps some people start work before 8.30