Break In - Barry Road - Yesterday Afternoon

Just thought I'd pop in to mention that we were broken into yesterday afternoon at about 3pm on Barry Road (very near to Barry's Stores). Two black males, average/short height (witness confirmed). They'd been through two flats and taken laptops, cash and other small valuable items and we're not entirely sure which direction they went or what mode of transport they used to leave the scene.

Modus operandi was to slip front yale lock on the exterior door and then do what they needed to do to gain entry to the flats(without the previous finesse in the case of our flat front door).

If anyone saw anything suspicious around Barry's Stores between 2 - 3.30pm yesterday if they could PM me that would be great. Also if anyone has any recommendations as to a local tradesman who can come and replace doorframes/locks etc that would also be handy.

The Police did mention that this isn't the first time in the last couple off weeks there has been this kind of burglary in the area and that the thieves are tending towards daytime hits on unnocupied blocks / flat conversions with multiple properties.

Cheers

The locksmiths on Lordship Lane (Callow) do call outs too. They've been really good when we've used them and they're much more reasonably priced than people we've just called up from the Yellow Pages previously. Thought it might be helpful to have an alternative just in case the recommendation above isn't available.

Jiggin, sorry to hear about the break in - I live on Barry road and I'll be keeping an eye out.

On the general topic, burglars target multi-occupancy premises because street door security is weaker and once in they have more time and can make more noise getting through the individual flat doors - particularly if they are all empty in the middle of the day. The only way to tackle it is for landlords and tenants to agree beefed up security for street doors (fit a mortice lock and everybody uses it all the time) and flat doors, to make it genuinely difficult to smash your way in - I would talk to the landlord about this.

DaveR - burglary unit DC said much the same thing, we are now properly reinforced and have 'london bars' on the doorframe.

Mazza - depends on the external door, if it is only a Yale and has any give in the door or frame at all it's not a difficult target apparently.

Learnt a lot today (Stable door, horse, bolted...)

The policeman also mentioned that since Barry Road is a bit lively of late they're looking into stepping up a visible presence on foot (rather than an audible presense on wheels - i'll admit that was a bit churlish, the cops have been really good, victim support call and everything!)

It is such a stomach churning feeling walking into your place which has been burgled,

and the feeling of someone going through your stuff seems worse than the losses if that's possible.

If they get caught nothing happens which might dissuade them from their chosen path.

So sorry to hear about your break in.

The same thing happened to us 3 years ago.

During the day when we were out and the upstairs flat un-occupied, they slipped the yale lock on the main front door, and kicked in our front door! our landlord had phoned us to tell us we had a break in, who was contacted by the estate agent who had been doing a viewing of the upstairs flat!

when we returned, our flat door was literally in two pieces, i was so upset, as special, non-replaceable items were stolen.

After the incident, we took special measures such as mortice locks, london bars, kick proof one piece wooden doors, the lot.

The police and victim support were great.i had learnt alot, but cardboard wood for a flat door did NOT help.

I still think someone must have been watching our movements for a while, So be on the look out for each other on your street.

and yes, whatever goes around, will come back twice as tough!!