Essential shops (other than food) needed in ED

with the butchers, bakers, fishmongers onion seller, and a hog roast it gets more like cranford everyday, you wont be able to move for bonnets and crinoline soon ;)

I love it, i think a better a better selection of mens clothing is needed , especially where footwear is concerned, i cant walk in the heels in the shoes which are on offer at the moment, its murder running after the p13

Either you are a woman who wants some men's shoes, or you are a man who chas ruled out high heels because you can't run in them.

Nothing wrong with that though - why should our gender dictate our choice in footwear, dammit!!

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Either you are a woman who wants some men's shoes,

> or you are a man who chas ruled out high heels

> because you can't run in them.

>

> Nothing wrong with that though - why should our

> gender dictate our choice in footwear, dammit!!

its the second one, though only after a bit of experimentation ;)

To be quite honest, although I knock it, I honestly think Lordship Lane is a fab high street. If I didn't have two young kids I would definitely use its bars and restaurants more, and have a higher disposable income to spend at some of the 'organic' shops.

Put it this way, if we had a high street like the ones in Penge, Sydenham or Annerley...and even Forest Hill...then we would have cause for complaint. Ahem.

Lizziedjango, you are so right. This afternoon I strolled up to the polling station buried in the Lordship Lane estate (up towards Harvester) and that short parade of shops up there is a little sad.

(The one half-decent place is the plant shop but when I tried to buy some pots for potting up was told "there's no money in pots".)

I'm looking forward to the Italian caf next to the bank.

chica1 Wrote:

> How about a travel agency? It would be nice to be

> able to talk f2f with someone for

> advice/comments/etc.

>

xxxxxxxxxx

There used to be a travel agency in Lordship Lane, and it closed down.

There is still one at the ED end of the main shopping street in Peckham (can't remember its name, Rye Lane?) on the right hand side coming from ED. At least, I think it's still there.

I'm amazed how any of them stay open these days of the internet.

Moos Wrote:

> A little cinema would be fun

>

> Although Peckham is just round the corner...

And Brixton's Ritzy is almost as convenient and considerably less crap, and the Clapham Picture House is actually a little cinema, though of course a little further and in that Ham.

The one that sounds like it's a village with the sort of malady that 60s and 70s musicians got sorted out out with a course of penicillin.

Bloody hell Moos, sorry for rambling on like that,

I'll only get back on the good foot if I get the crispest possible reply from you.

It can be terse even, I shan't mind that.

Frankly a bit of terseness would probably work wonders as far as...Oh, Bugs Bunny just stuck his head up and said 'This ain't Pismo Beach'.

Classic.

Sorry, got a bit distracted at the end there, jiggered if I can remember what I was going to suggest "would probably work wonders as far as".

Honestly I've a mind like a Prime Minister these days.

louisiana Wrote:

> Bicycle spare parts, alcohol, stamps, fuses,

> shampoo, CHOCOLATE

Louisiana, a possible candidate for Chancellor Of The Exchequer, brainstorms her first budget.

Shampoo? About time there was a heavy duty surcharge on it.

'Put it in the bank, or go lank'

That could be your motto.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> louisiana Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Bicycle spare parts, alcohol, stamps, fuses,

> > shampoo, CHOCOLATE

>

> Louisiana, a possible candidate for Chancellor Of

> The Exchequer, brainstorms her first budget.

> Shampoo? About time there was a heavy duty

> surcharge on it.

The surcharge will going on cat-poo, not shampoo. The cat poo that gets pooed onto my lawn by an evil black feline. ASBOs for cats. And I would of course reclassify Jaffa Cakes and chocolate and chocolate digestives as food, and consequently not liable to VAT.

As for my - ahem - candidature, I'm keeping my lines of communication open and wearing my trousers over my jimjams tonight. This will be a night of the long knives and the conspiratorial call may come through at any time.

But back on subject, I'd like to see a tea room and ice cream parlour in the grounds of the Dulwich Library. Did I mention that other local essential, proper ice cream, with proper wafers?

I think there is some sort of travel agency in the back office at Property In.

Can't agree that the Ritzy is only a bit less convenient, either walk in less than 20 minutes or wait an era for the 37 - could miss the start of the film waiting for the 37 - in fact could miss the entire film if there is bad traffic in Peckham and the 37's have all got stuck.