Favourite Offy on LL

Ted Max - I think you may be teasing me,

Maybe the tiniest bit. I like G&B, and as you can tell I have spent a good while in there reading the price labels of wines I hope one day to be able to afford. A wine merchant I know really likes the concept, thinks you are brave (and right) in the transparency of your pricing between retail and "drink-in" (ie telling everyone exactly what your mark up is) and is trying to get some of his clients to consider doing something similar.

Thanks Ted Max - maybe I can tempt you to try one of the less expensive bottles? We love them just as much and they are very popular at the moment.

(We also have some very delicious cider in at the mo for those who are interested - you get lots more drink for your money and its really refreshing it hot weather!)

Thanks Ted Max - maybe I can tempt you to try one of the less expensive bottles?

Don't misunderstand me, LB - the less expensive bottles I like already. I'm all over them. In fact you could well say if there's something in there for under a tenner, it's already seen the inside of the Max gullet.

It's the more expensive ones I linger over before sorrowfully moving on, like a gentleman swapping glances with a beautiful girl that he knows is out of his league.

legalbeagle, I think it's great that you're on here engaging with people and being the public face of the business, but I have to say the only time MrJ and I ever asked for wine advice in G&B it was a horrible experience. It was a while ago, so things may have changed, but we were in the wine bar side and asked the waiter for more information about the wines on the board. Neither of us know a great deal about wine, and his initial brief explanation (essentially just reading the board) left us none the wiser, so we very poiltely asked if he might be able to give us an idea of what type of wines they were (what they were like or what they were similar to that we might have heard of). After much eye rolling and sighing (yes, really, he actually rolled his eyes) he grudgingly gave us a tiny bit more information and, very embarrassed, we chose something, which was nice enough, but more expensive than we'd planned.

It was a most uncomfortable experience and has put me off buying wine from the off-licence side, although I do still like coming into the cafe side for lunch.

Can you reassure me that I won't encounter the same unpleasantness if I give it another go?

Annaj - I am so sorry to hear that this is your experience of G&B. One of the hardest things about running a small business is that no matter how fabulous your products or brilliant your concept, you are only ever as good as your worst member of staff. I will raise this incident with the management and staff at our next meeting, as it does infuriate me to hear that customers are left feeling like this about the shop. Perhaps the member of staff was having a bad day, but if he's after your hard earned cash, that is just no excuse.

We do spend a lot of time training our staff, and I would like to think that if you came into the shop again you would be able to have a sensible and informative discussion that enabled you to buy something you like at a price you are happy with.

Please do give us another try. When you go in, take as much time as you want looking around, and if you want help with chosing wine then do ask, and do mention your budget. I know we have expensive wines in the shop but we also have in excess of 20 bottles for ?10 or under, so you should be able to find a good range to suit all budgets and taste. If you don't have a good experience please get in touch with me straight away and I will personally take you to the shop and ensure that you come away happy. If we can't get that right then we don't deserve your support!

Don't worry Annaj, I never tell off our staff who are on the whole hard working and loyal! We just feedback all comments, good and bad, to the staff as a group, and we discuss how to deal with whatever has come up. Luckily we always have lots of positives to tell them as well as points to work on.

Glad to hear you will give us another go, and please do tell me how it goes.

Buying wine is like everything. There's a target market. If you aren't the target market don't go there.

If you don't like spending more than ?5 on a bottle of wine then don't go to Green and Blue - use Threshers or the corner shop (or if you really don't like wine but like getting drunk go for Somerfield's special offer on Isla Negra).

If you really like wine and are prepared to spend ?10 for something that is more expensive to make but should also have more depth of flavour then go to Green and Blue.

I don't like handbags and therefore cannot understand in a million years why someone would buy a Gucci handbag for ?400.

But I'm not going to slag off people who like spending a quarter of their monthly wage on a handbag as 'pretentious knobs'.

Green and Blue has been awarded best independent wine merchant by Decanter magazine readers - who probably know something about wine. Nicolas is universally despised by wine writers (from what I've seen). But not everyone agrees with the views of magazines and wine writers so if someone thinks that Nicolas is 'better' than Green and Blue that's fair enough - it's their opinion.

Personally I like Green and Blue for wine and probably wouldn't go anywhere else in LL but that's because I'm willing to pay a bit more for a bottle of wine than some people (but less for a handbag!). Bossman is (IMHO) pretty duff for wine but they have a totally superb beer selection. And the local shop that does 6 cans of strong lager for a ?5 can't be beaten for a BBQ.

Let's celebrate Lordship Lane. Something for everyone!

Being that you quoted "pretentious knobs", I'm guessing you were quotingme. Can I just make it very clear, that I don't think anyone at G&B is a pretentious knob, or anyone who likes to spend a bit of money on wine (I will spend over a tenner if I want to enjoy a nice bottle).

When I said "pretentious knobs", it was aimed at the type of person who would find a price tag vulgar, in any shop.

I thought that was plain, but that is now 2 people who have taken my post as either a dig at G&B, or people who like wine, when in fact, it was neither.

Legalbeagle, true to my word I gave G&B another try and went in today for wine for a picnic and something for a present.

I had wander round on my own first, and found all the labelling to be very clear and informative, then asked for some help. I was assisted by a very friendly woman who listen carefully to want I wanted and gave a range of recommendations, including her personal favourites. She was very helpful and not remotely patronising or snobby and asked me to come back and let her know what I'd thought of the wines. It was a very good shopping experience and I will be back.

Gimme, if you post was responding to mine, I'm not someone who objects to spending good money for good wine, I'm just someone who doesn't like to be treated rudely. That was all I objected to and now that I've been back and had such lovely service I'm happy to believe that I was just unlucky last time.

I wasn't responding to your post AnnaJ. You seemed to be making a fair point. Poor service = no return visit.

But there's loads of people who think that spending over ?5 on a bottle of wine is crazy.

One thing for sure is that spending a bit more on a bottle is likely to lead to less hangover.

Drunk an entire bottle of Alsace Riesling last night (probably about 9 or 10 quid a bottle) and no trace of a hangover.

Better wine generally contains less chemicals, therefore generally, less hangover...

God knows what they put in the ?3 bottles of Aussie red!

Bit like the difference between turkey twizzlers and a bit of organic turkey really.

legalbeagle, Im impressed that you as owner come on to the forum to get feedback on your operation. I would normally spend about ?7-9 for a bottle and feel that there is limited range available in this category at G&B. Nevertheless, after reading the post on the site I visited your shop earlier this week and had a good chat with the Manager who was very friendly and told me about the individual wine producers ; I ended up buying a bottle for ?16 (his favourite) , well above my normal budget, looking forward to try it but it will be for a special(ish) occasion.

I understand your point about volume and margin. However, for me to become a more frequent customer I think it would be great if you could sell some sort of white label / self bottled house wine (maybe in recycled bottles) for say ?8.00-9:00. In this way you could get a lower wholesale price and get some volume + customers through the door. Alternatively how about half bottles (during week I would prefer ? bottle anyway).

In terms of value add, it would be good if your website offered some sort of user feedback / star rating. Alternatively you could consider setting up an expert panel then publish results on your site (e.g. see nakedwines.com).

Also I have signed up for your newsletter months ago but never got an email. Your manager wrote down the address so hope I will get it next time.

Finally, I think there is an opportunity to co-operate with some of the other local restaurants and offer your wine and refer back to G&B; if nothing else maybe do something with il mirto and Thai corner two local BYO restaurants.

Hello Bozza - thanks very much for your post, some very interesting suggestions and I'll pass your comments on to the owners. Price is always tricky when you are trying to provide something niche or more unusual, and I can appreciate that ?16 isn't an amount you'd spend on everyday wine. If you look at our website, we do have more than 20 wines at ?10 or less which is slightly above the amount you have mentioned, but not much. It might mean trying a few things that you may not normally go for, but that might be fun too? We do also have some interesting beers and some very delicious cider that might be worth a look - lots more booze for your money! In the meantime we are always thinking of ways to provide delicious wine at a more affordable price so we'll certainly look at what you've said. If you PM me with your email address I'll make sure you are on our mailing list - not sure what has gone wrong there!

• 3 weeks later...

Gimme Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Buying wine is like everything. There's a target

> market. If you aren't the target market don't go

> there.

> If you don't like spending more than ?5 on a

> bottle of wine then don't go to Green and Blue -

> use Threshers or the corner shop (or if you really

> don't like wine but like getting drunk go for

> Somerfield's special offer on Isla Negra).

> If you really like wine and are prepared to spend

> ?10 for something that is more expensive to make

> but should also have more depth of flavour then go

> to Green and Blue.

>

> I don't like handbags and therefore cannot

> understand in a million years why someone would

> buy a Gucci handbag for ?400.

> But I'm not going to slag off people who like

> spending a quarter of their monthly wage on a

> handbag as 'pretentious knobs'.

>

> Green and Blue has been awarded best independent

> wine merchant by Decanter magazine readers - who

> probably know something about wine. Nicolas is

> universally despised by wine writers (from what

> I've seen). But not everyone agrees with the views

> of magazines and wine writers so if someone thinks

> that Nicolas is 'better' than Green and Blue

> that's fair enough - it's their opinion.

>

> Personally I like Green and Blue for wine and

> probably wouldn't go anywhere else in LL but

> that's because I'm willing to pay a bit more for a

> bottle of wine than some people (but less for a

> handbag!). Bossman is (IMHO) pretty duff for wine

> but they have a totally superb beer selection. And

> the local shop that does 6 cans of strong lager

> for a ?5 can't be beaten for a BBQ.

>

> Let's celebrate Lordship Lane. Something for

> everyone!

You can get Gucci handbags for ?400?? Never seen one that cheap.

Green and Blue is actually very good. They don't do the hard sell and the staff are extremely knowledgeable but at the same time informal, approachable and not at all pushy. Nicolas, not sure I've ever been in there. Bossman, one of the workers there is just disgusting. Oddbins, reasonable wine selection (just about) but the staff I've met in there has no interest in doing his job at all. So my vote for best offy on LL goes to Green and Blue by a long shot. Not all of their wine is expensive either as I picked up a bottle for ?5-ish at one point.

HellNoHellYeah Wrote:

> Gimme Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Buying wine is like everything. There's a

> target

> > market. If you aren't the target market don't

> go

> > there.

> > If you don't like spending more than ?5 on a

> > bottle of wine then don't go to Green and Blue

> -

> > use Threshers or the corner shop (or if you

> really

> > don't like wine but like getting drunk go for

> > Somerfield's special offer on Isla Negra).

> > If you really like wine and are prepared to

> spend

> > ?10 for something that is more expensive to

> make

> > but should also have more depth of flavour then

> go

> > to Green and Blue.

> >

> > I don't like handbags and therefore cannot

> > understand in a million years why someone would

> > buy a Gucci handbag for ?400.

> > But I'm not going to slag off people who like

> > spending a quarter of their monthly wage on a

> > handbag as 'pretentious knobs'.

> >

> > Green and Blue has been awarded best

> independent

> > wine merchant by Decanter magazine readers -

> who

> > probably know something about wine. Nicolas is

> > universally despised by wine writers (from what

> > I've seen). But not everyone agrees with the

> views

> > of magazines and wine writers so if someone

> thinks

> > that Nicolas is 'better' than Green and Blue

> > that's fair enough - it's their opinion.

> >

> > Personally I like Green and Blue for wine and

> > probably wouldn't go anywhere else in LL but

> > that's because I'm willing to pay a bit more for

> a

> > bottle of wine than some people (but less for a

> > handbag!). Bossman is (IMHO) pretty duff for

> wine

> > but they have a totally superb beer selection.

> And

> > the local shop that does 6 cans of strong lager

> > for a ?5 can't be beaten for a BBQ.

> >

> > Let's celebrate Lordship Lane. Something for

> > everyone!

>

> You can get Gucci handbags for ?400?? Never seen

> one that cheap.

Never bought a Gucci handbag but I thought that ?400 was suitably ridiculous for a handbag.... :-)

How much do they really cost?

Typically ?1000 to ?1500

http://www.gucci.com/uk/uk-english/uk/fall-winter-09/handbags/#0-1025779-228584A7M0R9022

Gimme Wrote:

> HellNoHellYeah Wrote:

> -----

> > Gimme Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Buying wine is like everything. There's a

> > target

> > > market. If you aren't the target market don't

> > go

> > > there.

> > > If you don't like spending more than ?5 on a

> > > bottle of wine then don't go to Green and

> Blue

> > -

> > > use Threshers or the corner shop (or if you

> > really

> > > don't like wine but like getting drunk go for

> > > Somerfield's special offer on Isla Negra).

> > > If you really like wine and are prepared to

> > spend

> > > ?10 for something that is more expensive to

> > make

> > > but should also have more depth of flavour

> then

> > go

> > > to Green and Blue.

> > >

> > > I don't like handbags and therefore cannot

> > > understand in a million years why someone

> would

> > > buy a Gucci handbag for ?400.

> > > But I'm not going to slag off people who like

> > > spending a quarter of their monthly wage on a

> > > handbag as 'pretentious knobs'.

> > >

> > > Green and Blue has been awarded best

> > independent

> > > wine merchant by Decanter magazine readers -

> > who

> > > probably know something about wine. Nicolas

> is

> > > universally despised by wine writers (from

> what

> > > I've seen). But not everyone agrees with the

> > views

> > > of magazines and wine writers so if someone

> > thinks

> > > that Nicolas is 'better' than Green and Blue

> > > that's fair enough - it's their opinion.

> > >

> > > Personally I like Green and Blue for wine and

> > > probably wouldn't go anywhere else in LL but

> > > that's because I'm willing to pay a bit more

> for

> > a

> > > bottle of wine than some people (but less for

> a

> > > handbag!). Bossman is (IMHO) pretty duff for

> > wine

> > > but they have a totally superb beer

> selection.

> > And

> > > the local shop that does 6 cans of strong

> lager

> > > for a ?5 can't be beaten for a BBQ.

> > >

> > > Let's celebrate Lordship Lane. Something for

> > > everyone!

> >

> > You can get Gucci handbags for ?400?? Never

> seen

> > one that cheap.

>

>

> Never bought a Gucci handbag but I thought that

> ?400 was suitably ridiculous for a handbag....

> :-)

> How much do they really cost?

Gimme Wrote:

> One thing for sure is that spending a bit more on

> a bottle is likely to lead to less hangover.

> Drunk an entire bottle of Alsace Riesling last

> night (probably about 9 or 10 quid a bottle) and

> no trace of a hangover.

> Better wine generally contains less chemicals,

> therefore generally, less hangover...

> God knows what they put in the ?3 bottles of

> Aussie red!

> Bit like the difference between turkey twizzlers

> and a bit of organic turkey really.

I'll second that! Got caught up in recession-fuelled frugalness after being made redundant and decided to purchase a bottle of Pinot from Threshers as it was considerably less than what i normally spend. I then spent the whole of the next day confined to my bed apart from a few trips to hug the cistern - took me right back to my teenage days! It's definately worth getting a quality bottle over saving a few quid.