Tell me about ED in the old days

I used to love buying Airfix kits and Subbuteo in Marriott's toy shop (they also had a Forest Hill branch). It was around where the Adventure Bar is now. I went to St John's and St Clements on Archdale Rd.. It was nice having a primary school in the heart of ED.

ontheedge Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where the Sea Cow is was Gents which was a mens

> shop I rented the flat above it and John Fisher

> who owned it & the shop was a real gent.There are

> some shops around that have been there for decade,

> but there will always be change as time is not

> static

He also used to sell odd bits of china and furniture sometimes displayed in the window. The shop always had a slightly musty smell to it and I wondered if he ever sold much from it.

I have no idea what the area looks like now, not been passing that way for a number of years.

But there was a great fish and chip shop at the bottom of the hill and a kerosine dispenser, which if you were lucky gave a reasonable return if someone had broken the glass.

But that was 40 plus years ago.

Also, I pointed the said mate I used to visit the CPT with and he pointedout Tracksuit Man (how could I vere forget), his words not mine....:

"

Remember Tracksuit Man ? greasy haired short guy with bad skin and glasses ? Nearly always came into the pub with his wife whom he never spoke to ? Is that the guy ? Well is it ? Punk ?

"

Top entertainment in CPT inthe old days, then they got all funny about workclothes and other rules and boom no customers anymore - strange that.

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On the site where Somerfield is now, I remember it

> being called International or something along

> those lines?

Yes it was International and the video shop was a bed shop and there was a DSS where Foxtons is now, and it was only 28 years ago when you could leave your baby in its pram outside the shops.! I also remember Bells fish and chip shop and the jewellars.

If that was addressed to me Keef, I wasn't at St. John's, I think that was somebody else on this thread.

Tracksuit man was probably mid-forties and always came in for the last pint just before last orders, he wore jeans trainers and a tracksuit TOP (not whole tracksuit). But he (and the other characters) were so consistent in their manner and appearance we just had to coin nicknames for them !!

After a swim at East Dulwich baths we used to go to a sauna place on North Cross Rd and then undo all the good work with a curry. The sauna place was closed down for allegedly being a knocking shop.I was young and naive but never noticed any funny goings on.

BicBasher. Somerfield/International was Gateway at one time.

Lilolil It's not Walsh Glazing in Penge but Edwardes Bros. Electrical Wholesalers.who were where Nero is now.

Also 7/11 or B2 or Londis was a Tesco in the sixties.

Iceland/ Bejam site was Pullins the motor dealer at the same time

I remember when GBK was the Italian restaurant (cant remember the name) and before that it was a fish and chip shop and before that (apparently) it was a cinema?

Next door to that was the travel agents and along that parade was an estate agent.

Does anyone remember the co-op supermarket, it was massive, but then again I was small! It was along by the traffic lights near the old 7/11.

I also remember Deedees, I used to spend all my pocket money there buying scented pencils and nick nacks for my hair.

Do you remember when there was a video rental shop along that same parade? It was owned by a lad called Rocky who was the son of PK Chawla who owned the wavyline store and paper shop on the corner of Goodrich Road and Landells Road. I had my first Saturday job in there! On the other corner was a fruit and veg shop and opposite that was a launderette and on the fourth corner was an off license which later had a restaurant at the back.

Also, many many years ago on the corner of Crystal Palace Road and Goodrich Road was a bakers and opposite that was a fish and chip shop, a hardware store, a cobblers (which later became a ladies hairdressers) and a cafe. In the opposite direction going up CPR on the corner was a strange old shop which sold Caribbean food, a butcher and an off license. Opposite the off license (next to the Castle pub) was a small Indian Restaurant as well.

Further down Crystal Palace Road, near the wholesale hair supplies was a green double fronted shop which used to sell "antiques"?

Just a little way along and on the other side, corner of Crystal Palace Road and Whately Road was a butcher and another cafe.

SueJ - I think that Italian restaurant was called Spaghetti Western? Used to go all the time when a student in the early 90's.

And I remember some parties in the sports club owned by KCL on the playing field where Sainsburys is now.

And traipsing through the underground tunnel( under the railway line) at night between what was the old St Francis Hospital to the main Dulwich Hospital site

oh yes i remember the tire shop!!! and before the plough was the goose and granite it was the plough!!!!!

if you get me! and the woolwich was a tiny little place next to the 7/11...and the co-op was a shop that made fresh bread on the premises...remember??? and i used to do keep fit in the edt upstairs in the late 80's.does anyone remember the restaurant...nmore like a tea room that did lovely homemade pies and stuff next to bells the plumbing place...she had dogs and adord them? or am i goin mad..little garden out the back...i used to feel like i was in france!!

I used to do my banking at the little glass "bubble" inside the Co-op.

I have fond memories of Follet's record shop. In the early 1950s the records used to be in the semi-basement. I guess because of the sheer weight of the shellac. Up to the mid-1950s when you went to buy a single you had a choice: you could buy a 10" 78rpm from the semi-basement or a 7" 45rpm from the ground floor. This lasted to at least 1956 when I bought my first vinyl single. Later on the semi-basement was closed and the LPs (sleeves only) were then kept on a mezzanine floor and the singles behind the counter on the ground floor. It's sad that young people today no longer have the excitment of visiting their local record shop.

Sheet music used to come from Melbourne Pianos which was a few doors along from Caffe Nero.

Up to the early 1970s East Dulwich had a much wider and more interesting range of shops than it has today.

How long did we have a Jobcentre in LL? I recall that our unemployed were made to sign on at the Peckham benefit office, then they opened the benefits office where Foxtons is now and the Jobcentre where William Hill and the estate agents are now.

Anyone remember La Careme, which i think is either Chardon or Sema Thai now? i went there for sunday lunches around 1980 and got all excited when they served a little bowl of nuts at the start and then brought the vegetables to the table in a separate dish to the roast beef. I was very young though.