The ED mummy who picked clean the pile outside the MIND shop

Emily, it's understandable that you are miffed that they didn't take the time to compliment you on your fabulous taste and excellent housekeeping standards.

Donating to charity shops is a good deed and the recipients are supposed to be grateful. Perhaps you could get in touch with Head Office to complain?

Or maybe the shop saw the quality of your donation and decided that it would get more money (for the cause) putting the items on ebay. ;-)

I am the world's worst housewife and absolutely hate ironing - I rarely do it for me or mine so I have to admit I did have a special sense of anguish to see my carefully checked (no holes, no stains, no bobbly bits), painstakingly ironed (with my new, bought-nearly-specially-for-the-purpose iron!) and neatly folded pile gaily hurled to the floor. I did plan to Ebay the lot but then felt a pang of guilt and thought it would be better to donate to a local charity. I have to admit I wish I hadn't bothered when I realised most of it was clearly chucked out. What a waste! I'd really rather someone picked through it on the doorstep - at least it would get a second life.

Actually, next time I'll freecycle.

Anyone want a few Ghost long dresses and tops?

Macroban,

I'm afraid neither of those points is correct. Your point 1 ignores the fact that given the existence of the sign (on the assumption there is one, as has been suggested) the would-be donor has actual knowledge that his or her 'gift' is nothing of the sort, but is the simple dumping of goods (rather like fly tipping, if you like). There is no legal principle that I am aware of that means the title of the goods the subject of the failed gift will remain vested in the would be donor when the donor knows the gift if will fail at the time. It's not like we are in resulting trust territory here!

As for your point 2, using a long legal sounding word (but not in any meaningful way) don't make it right! The fact that the dumped goods might have been over the boundary line (which I assume you were trying to suggest?) is irrelevant to ownership, if the owner of the land has expressly refused to take ownership. It's like someone else on here was saying - just because someone dumps a load of rubbish in your front garden it doesn't make you the owner.

Emily - I sympathise. You deliberately chose to donate some choice stuff rather than sell it and you suspect it has been binned.

Good on you ,don't know why everyone is having a pop.

If it's any consolation I expect that they have a policy to move the high end stuff to another shop in an even pricer area than ED.

People take your donations elsewhere too. I left 8 full sacks of genuine donations for the heart foundation to pickup as a special request, labelled and at my door 30 mins before they were due to arrive. I have a front garden so my door is not on the street. Less than 10 minutes later 6 bags were nicked. The truck was still on it's way, leaflet deliverers saw nothing and police say it happens all the time and is illegal. Have to say I was fuming as this was not your typical street donation pickup as they made a special arrangement to collect these bags. There apparently are trucks of people driving around was for bags to be put out to take.

Yes, of course I'm for real. Why wouldn't I be? I made a deliberate decision to donate my unwanted clothes to a really good cause instead of ebaying them because I read an article by Mary Portas in Grazia encouraging people to donate decent stuff not ratty old toot to charity shops (linked to some programme she's making). I washed everything, checked it for marks etc, ironed it. And yes, I do hate ironing, and so no, I wasn't thrilled to see it literally thrown on the floor and then not even put out for sale.The rails in that shop are nearly empty by the way, so I know it's not for lack of space. I mention the brands because I am pointing out that this was not just worn out Primark tat, as obviously that isn't very saleable.

My view is that it's pretty pointless getting annoyed at people picking through stuff on the doorstep if the shops don't actually bother selling the donations they receive. I was very surprised and disappointed. I have donated stuff to a woman's refuge in the past and I might do that instead.

I saw this happening in sainsburys car park about 6 weeks ago. A fella with a bent coat hanger was fishing bags out of the SCOPE charity bins and going through them for presumably valuble items and throwing the rest on the floor. I asked him what he was doing and he responded very agressively accusing me of being " sick in the mind" and rascist. I explained i wasn't accusing him of anything but was interested in what he was doing he then threatened we with violence.

I reported the incident to the security fella at the little desk in the store. He and another guard went to sort it out and when I passed by again the security man said the "fisher" had dispeared but they'd seen it happen before.

It's plain and simple stealing from charity; from those who are worse off than the majority of us. If you do not know you can take something you can't take it. Car with a door left open and the engine running, pound lying on the ground, bag of clothes outside a shop; same rules apply It's not yours to take. No excuses

• 1 year later...

Just come across a relevant case: Ricketts v Basildon Magistrates Court [2010] http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2010/2358.html

R was seen by police via CCTV taking stuff that had been left outside a BHF charity shop. His car was subsequently stopped. The rear seat was filled with bags of items which R said he was collecting to sell at a boot sale. He admitted taking them from outside BHF and from a bin next to an Oxfam shop. R asked the High Court to quash Basildon Magistrates' decision committing him to the Crown Court for trial for theft, arguing that there had been no evidence from which the magistrates could have concluded that the items belonged to someone other than R.

Held: It was an inference open to the court, that the items had not been abandoned but were, for the purposes of the Theft Act, the property of another. Application dismissed.

In the case of the BHF items the court considered it an obvious inference that the items were intended as gifts to BHF, and that they remained the property of the would-be donors until BHF took possession of them (which they had not yet done).

Mrs Y Wrote

---------------------------------------------------

Do people really steal fron outside charity shops in Dulwich!

Are you saying beacuse the charity shop is in Dulwich that people don't help themselves you need to get out more does not matter what area it is.

It'll all be used by someone somewhere. A few days ago I was startled to see how many ads Hungarian websites have for "Angol ruha b?l?k", baled English clothes / English clothes by the bale, 55 forint the kilo... 'sabout 20p.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Domitianus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Perhaps DM has re-registered under a new

> > nom-de-pomp?

>

> I doubt she'd be quite so DulwichMum if she did.

>

> Emily's just havin' a Turkish.

Are you both kidding? DM wouldn't be seen dead in Zara.