How representative of East Dulwich is the EDF?

Otta

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In the 00s there were lots of people in their 20s

> living in ED. I suspect less so now due to house

> prices / rents.

I think you're right. Come to that, friends in their 30s who have rented round here and are now buying are doing so further out - Forest Hill, Catford, Norwood etc, as well as families in their 40s heading for Surrey etc.

Frankly the fact I have an asset (which I can't exactly get value for as I am living in it) which has gone up silly amounts in value isn't much compensation for the fact the prices are pushing away people I liked having in the area.

Anyway, on the topic, forums are rarely representative, even of the people who post on them, much less of the population as a whole, be that all inhabitants of an area, all fans of a band, all mums etc.

I used to post on the forum for a band that made this place look tame - the lounge equivalent could be completely vicious at times. Meet the posters in person at gigs and discovered that some of the most outrageously rude people on line were actually shy and sweet in real life.

I don't think I do, but at least some people have different on line persona - and not just like dulwichmum.

I am not saying people don't mean what they write, but I suspect a lot of people who might come across as abrasive on line are actually more pleasant if you actually met them.

indiepanda Wrote:

> I am not saying people don't mean what they write,

> but I suspect a lot of people who might come

> across as abrasive on line are actually more

> pleasant if you actually met them.

Of course... it's inevitably true. Most of us are more "direct" on here than we would be face-to-face.

As I said earlier regarding the EDF, I agree with what Jeremy said. I have this mental image of the regulars sitting at a desk (mostly in town, judging by their comments) browsing & posting all day long while working at the same time. Then again from ipads & mobiles during the journey home.

I get the impression that it's more of a boredom thing as a lot of the regulars disappear at weekends. Bank holidays are even worse. They obviously have better things to do than post on here. Which is quite frustrating. I don't have an office job so when at work can only post briefly from my phone when my boss isn't looking! I tend to be able to say a lot more on days off, evenings and bank holidays.

Sometimes the EDF is so dead at weekends, hours can go by with no-one posting in the lounge. It's a shame when you've got plenty of time to talk and nobody to talk to!

• 3 months later...

Its not representative at all.

The views of a dozen or so regular posters here has no bearing to the views of the 1,000's of people

who reside in East Dulwich.

Talk to people in the local pubs and hear their view on the forum and their views about our area and you

will find them mostly conflicting with regards to local restaurants, pubs, food, pricing.

People who voice conflicting views here are shot down.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Its not representative at all.

>

> The views of a dozen or so regular posters here

> has no bearing to the views of the 1,000's of

> people

> who reside in East Dulwich.

>

> Talk to people in the local pubs and hear their

> view on the forum and their views about our area

> and you

> will find them mostly conflicting with regards to

> local restaurants, pubs, food, pricing.

>

> People who voice conflicting views here are shot

> down.

>

> DulwichFox

*like*

Louisa Wrote:

> This forum has not been representative since about

> 2008.

>

> Louisa.

Yes, I think it was about August 2008 when people from outside the area starting contributing posts. Administrator - is there any way the IP addresses of people from outside the area can be blocked to stop them posting in the Forum? Are IP addresses linked to geographical locality?

Bob Buzzard Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This forum has not been representative since

> about

> > 2008.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> Yes, I think it was about August 2008 when people

> from outside the area starting contributing posts.

> Administrator - is there any way the IP addresses

> of people from outside the area can be blocked to

> stop them posting in the Forum? Are IP addresses

> linked to geographical locality?

Great idea, while you're at it stop people that don't reside in ED from frequenting the pubs, shops and using any services based in ED or traveling through ED en route to somewhere else. Terrific idea.

Parkdrive Wrote:

> Bob Buzzard Wrote:

> -----

> > Louisa Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > This forum has not been representative since

> > about

> > > 2008.

> > >

> > > Louisa.

> >

> > Yes, I think it was about August 2008 when

> people

> > from outside the area starting contributing

> posts.

> > Administrator - is there any way the IP

> addresses

> > of people from outside the area can be blocked

> to

> > stop them posting in the Forum? Are IP

> addresses

> > linked to geographical locality?

>

> Great idea, while you're at it stop people that

> don't reside in ED from frequenting the pubs,

> shops and using any services based in ED or

> traveling through ED en route to somewhere else.

> Terrific idea.

Build a huge wall (I'll be in it's shadow on the outside)

That's what Canada did in South Park.