Moving to the area

Hello all....been reading this forum, very informative and somewhat entertaining too!

I'm making the jump and moving from North london to East Dulwich next week. I don't know the area well. have visited for drinks a few times and really like the vibe.

I've been reading about levels of crime etc and just really wanted a balanced view on the safety of the area. I'm a female in my 20s and used to getting a late train home and walking back. Is that advisable (From E.Dulwich stn to Crystal Palace Road)?

Any other advice or recommendations for the area?

I'm really looking forward to the move and want to feel comfortable that all this chat about crime and mugging is perhaps being blown out of proportion! Is it?

Cheers!

I never answered the question either - sorry. We lived on Friern Rd (parallel to Crystal Palace Rd) for 8 years up until months ago - my partner in her 20s for most of it and she never once had a problem. She travels home alone as well

We have no intention of leaving the area either - a few conversation in the past have revolved around the topic and I agree with those who say it's considerably safer than or as safe as most parts of London

Thanks guys....all sounds good. I know there is a chance of being a victim of crime anywhere, but as a lone girl it's nice to feel relatively safe walking home.

Sean...I'm a journalist...so should be tough talking in the face of a mugger i guess!

So, best places to drink, hang out?

So long as you don't run into Rod Liddle

Best places to drink/eat is subjective - plenty of food stops but only restaurant I would recommends as worth travelling to is Franklins. Palmerston is very good as well

Drinks - I quite like most of the bars during the day time but a few get a bit much of a weekend evening. As mentioned, come along to the monthly forum drinks and you'll meet plenty of people from different fields with wildly differing opinions!

Cool...I'll try and get along to the forum drinks then! Hmmm....what prompted the move? Just a need for a change. Fed up of North London and have mates over E.Dulwich way, so thought why not?! I hope I'll be very happy there too.....won't be long now!

Hi Sally

East Dulwich is perfectly safe to walk around. I'm in my late twenties and have been living here for 1 year.

It's a lot safer than some other areas but generally I would say that it's never safe to walk anywhere alone at night be it male or female. You really need to be on your guard all the time. There are usually people around at night. Obviously avoid short cuts late at night.

I've lived on Crystal Palace Road since last summer and I've never had any problems, though the recent posts on muggings etc have made me a bit nervous and more inclined to use taxis late at night rather than getting the night bus back from town. Suspect that's an overreaction on my part though.

Hi Sally, you'll love it here, it's a really lovely place to live. I moved from Norfolk about 2 years ago and love it here. I'm in my 20s and have never felt nervous walking around day or night. I get the train back at night and the buses too and have felt fine. You just need to take the same precautions you would anywhere - don't flash cash/mobiles/mp3 players etc around, don't get sp drunk you're at risk anywhere! Don't walk down unlit streets or use your mobile while walking - the police told me this when I was at uni. Apparently most people feel more comfortable walking alone at night and talking on their mobile, but it actually makes you less alert, you're showing your mobile phone, and you're less likely to hear someone coming up behind you. Also, get your keys out before you get to your house. I always read this forum and am astonished by how dangerous it makes East Dulwich feel sometimes! It's still London, but having moved from the country I was surprised by how safe it was, how happy I felt here. It's got a good feel about it, you'll like it

Thank you for all your responses...they have (mostly!) really helped. Cheers Tarah.....I'm a pretty sensible woman and don't do much that makes me look like a target...I'm sometimes too alert to what's going on around me for my own good..but that'll be the journo in me I suppose. Anyway all of your replies have made me feel really positive about my move, not that i wasn't anyway, but it is daunting moving to an area you hardly know at all just for the hell of it! My new street is getting good press from you guys too....all in all it seems I have made a good decision. See you in East Dulwich!