dangerous dog owner alert

Apologies if this character has been reported on the EDF already. If so, someone might post to make the connection.

I and a family member have come across him three times, day and night, the last two very recently. He is white, in his 20s or early 30s, with a London accent. He always wears a hoodie up. His dog is a white pitbull. On one occasion he was with a young woman, possibly his partner, and a young child.

The encounter always goes like this: Unless you are very alert the first you will be aware is a figure in the distance, hysterically ordering you to put your dog on the lead. He always has his dog by the collar; it is straining and he is having trouble not letting go.

He is evidently in some febrile state of anxiety, irrationality and extreme aggression. He says that he will release his dog, it will kill yours, and attack you. Within seconds he is also threatening to physically assault you himself. He repeats ?You got a problem?!? as a kind of crazed mantra.

The pitbull itself is not evidently vicious, but it is totally wound up, and it will be taking behavior cues from its master. For these reasons it is potentially very dangerous.

I cannot believe there is not a whole string of terrifying and upsetting incidents arising from this guy?s behavior in public spaces. He clearly has a severe personality disorder and needs help for that. He also needs not to be in charge of a pitbull.

We have reported this last incident to the police. Up to you what to do if you have the misfortune to run into him. Please just bear this in mind: this guy is a loudly ticking bomb. Some beloved pet is going to be savaged to death, and some blameless dogwalker injured.

If we manage to get an incident number from the Met I will post it here, so that any later report to them can also refer to this number, and help PC Plod join the dots. I suspect they know who he is, anyway.

Lee Scoresby

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's also very concerning that he is behaving like

> this when he is with a young child.

Second what Sue says - worrying that there has been a young child too.

Thanks.

HP

Can you say roughly whereabouts you've encountered him? Peckham Rye Park?/ Dulwich???

Sorry, sorry - late night oversight: we have run into him in Peckham Rye and PR Park: outside the little kids' playground; at the outdoor gym; near Homestall Road.

Really interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences, or knows anything more.

LS

If the dog is a PB or PB cross it is illegal, if the man is making threats that indicate he might use the dog to harm someone I would think this was an arrestable offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act or other legislation. The dog should be confiscated and, if not a PB and of sound temperament, rehomed. If it really is PB or cross it may well be put down.

Lee how very frightening for you and for this man's child. It sounds like he has serious substance abuse/ mental health issues.

The most vulnerable people are probably those walking a dog, so thank you for the heads up. Have you reported this to the SNT? I really would if you can. I think it is other dogs that are most likely to get attacked. A dog in Herne Hill was attacked and killed by a PB type dog earlier in the year, on the street by the overground station.