bee hive under shed

The British bee keepers association should give you the name of a local beekeeper who can come and move the bees to somewhere more suitable. We did this some years ago and the bees we discovered were moved to an allotment area in Honor Oak.

Could you try to identify what sort of bees they are from the BBKA website photos before you call out a beekeeper? Beekeepers collect honey bee swarms or colonies which can be re homed. If they are under a shed, they probably aren't honey bees, which build comb downwards.

Hi there we had a bees nest last year In a compost bin in front of our shed which couldn't be moved because there was no base, they were wild bees not honey bees & beekeepers wouldnt take them so it's inportant to identify them if you can. I didn't want them to be killed by pest comtrol so in the end we decided to leave them alone & just told the children to keep a bit of distance from their entry point & after about 5 weeks they just moved off of their own accord. Whenever we were near the bin they didn't seem bothered they just went about their bee stuff so it was ok in the end.

Non honey bees do not survive over the winter as a colony. They make lots of queens which will hibernate and start a new colony somewhere else in the spring. As summer goes on and they have produced lots of queens their colony breaks down, so if you can hang on in there they will disappear of their own accord. Good luck.

We have bumble bees nesting in our roof. The bee keepers are not interested as apparently bumbles are lazy little devils and produce very little honey. Our advice was just to leave them as they only make small nests and are are not aggressive nor do they chew the rafters as wasps (ugh) do! They should disappear at the end of summer to that great hive in the sky.