Songs you absolutely detest..

????

Quite right Dukesdenver, I was actually undecided as to whether to name check 'That Don't Impress me Much' OR 'Man, I feel Like A Woman' but the first has the edge for me. Either way there is not much to choose between which is a worse musical crime, we are stuck firmly between a rock and a hard place on this one...

Did you read about that murder case last year where a woman was accused of shooting her husband point blank with a shotgun while he slept in a chair, and her defense was that rather than it being murder it was in fact a terrible accident whereby she was doing a sexy strip tease for him along to the music of 'Man, I Feel Like A Woman' and part of her role-play included her holding a shotgun (loaded) presumably in an effort to come over all sexy and confident and empowered and, oooh, Shania-like, and at the final triumphant chord of the song she banged it on the ground for emphasis and it discharged, killing her husband instantly. This is a true case...see link

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jun/09/ukcrime.ukguns

Thinking about it now, I wonder if she WAS in fact almost telling the truth, but in fact what happened was that when her husband, wired with excited anticipation, realised that he was going to have to sit through the full 3 minutes of 'Man I Feel Like A Woman' and the prospect of his wife giving him a lap dance was insufficient to ease his horror and he begged her to shoot him in the face.

Just a thought.

hellosailor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thinking about it now, I wonder if she WAS in

> fact almost telling the truth, but in fact what

> happened was that when her husband, wired with

> excited anticipation, realised that he was going

> to have to sit through the full 3 minutes of 'Man

> I Feel Like A Woman' and the prospect of his wife

> giving him a lap dance was insufficient to ease

> his horror and he begged her to shoot him in the

> face.

Thinking about it, directly or indirectly I suspect that Shania Twain is responsible for a lot of gun-related incidents.

Sherwick Wrote:

> yeah, well I love Wuthering Heights (K Bush) and

> Love Resurrection (A Moyet) but didn't complain

> when others said they hated them! (Must admit I

> prefer Babushka to WH though..).

You must speak up Sherwick, some people's opinions are just plain wrong and they need to be told.

I know it's an easy one but Dancing In The Street by The Dame and Mick Jagger is quite simply beyond awful.

The massacring of a classic is one thing but the intro where they 'namecheck' the various countries is toe curling.

Yes I know it was for charity, but crapping hell.

I reckon DB only did to make us all yearn for the glory days of The Laughing Gnome.

The only thing worse than the record is the video.

I'll take the criticism for Shakin Stevens - I think I have a soft spot for it as it was the first 7" I ever bought, shunned 'Ebony and Ivory' for it. I also detest 'Under The Boardwalk' by Bruce Willis and anything by David Hasselhoff, including the dreadful 'Jump In My Car'. These people should stick to acting, or in the Hoff's case, retire.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> I know it's an easy one but Dancing In The Street

> by The Dame and Mick Jagger is quite simply beyond

> awful.

> The massacring of a classic is one thing but the

> intro where they 'namecheck' the various countries

> is toe curling.

> Yes I know it was for charity, but crapping hell.

> I reckon DB only did to make us all yearn for the

> glory days of The Laughing Gnome.

> The only thing worse than the record is the video.

Yep, absolutely terrible.

Sherwick Wrote:

> already mentioned Atila, and it was pointed out

> that it kept Ultravox's Vienna off number 1.

did you know that Midure if thats how you spell his name was a guitarist in the band ThinLizzy at one point.

With A Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker. Takes a lovely song performed in an understated fashion by Rigo Starr and emotes it to within inch of it's life. The clodhopping 'gospel' backing and Cocker's execrable caterwauling make this one of the grimmest musical experiences ever. The worst thing about it there are some rhat would hold it up as some sort of 'classic', but if you do then you're probably Dr Fox or Jamie Theakston and so not worth the time it takes to type this.

It's the aural equivalant of a p!ss-scented addled tramp following you around claiming that you're his long-lost brother.

Forever.

yeah, well I love Wuthering Heights (K Bush) and Love Resurrection (A Moyet) but didn't complain when others said they hated them! (Must admit I prefer Babushka to WH though..).

I love Wuthering Heights, and the bit where she sings "you know it's me, Kathy" is a sweet sweet vocal! Not so keen on Babushka, love "Man with a child in his eyes".

I also like Alanis (sorry Rosie), although you're right, the things in "Ironic" are not ironic, which I guess is Ironic :-S

And sorry Hona, I also quite like Cocker's version of "a little help". Mainly because it became a kareoke classic in my uni days :-$