Hillsborough Disaster - What exactly is this Justice for the '96?

Keef

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think whether it's insensitive or not is moot.

> I'm certainly not trying to get a rise out of

> anyone.

>

> Now is a moment to find balance and perspective to

> identify a true form of justice for those directly

> involved. I hope that my views are held in that

> light, and more importantly I think that views

> such as mine are a critical contribution to the

> debate.

>

> This tribal mentality is frankly frightening, the

> wilful ignorance and rewriting of history by the

> fans is as grotesque as the adjusted police

> statements.

>

> The willingness of barely related individuals to

> leap on the retribution bandwagon for an incident

> that happened to people before they were born in a

> different social era is gratuitous.

>

> I find the current 'fan response' to be

> disproportionate. There has been no grand

> conspiracy of government, media and the

> authorities to target Liverpool. There has been

> human error, negligence, defensiveness and

> stupidity.

>

> Let he who is without sin on these cast the first

> stone, and let's apply that maxim first to the

> 'Liverpool faithful' singing about Munich shall

> we?

What's truly frightening is your lopsided view of this tragic episode. I'm not a Liverpool fan, I'm a fan, but also a human being and witnessed the events unfold on TV at the time. As far as I can see fans haven't tried to rewrite history at all. Most right minded people want those responsible for a tragedy that could have been avoided brought to the courts, no matter who they are. Personally I find your views of this episode very distatseful, as you seem to be suggesting that the surviving relatives of those that lost their lives are interseted only in vengeance. Awful.

Not at all Parkdrive, I have clearly made the point that different people want different things, and not everyone is pursuing this issue with the same agenda nor same motivations.

It is clear to me that anyone who wants every police officer at the event to be named, shamed and publically humiliated is not looking for justice, as this would manifestly not be just.

I feel the greatest sympathy for people involved in this tragedy on both sides - nobody chose to be there, and I don't think we should be adding to the numbers of those whose lives have been destroyed.

The issue of sensitivity is part of that equation - I have every obligation to be sensitive to those who have suffered, but I have no such obligation to be sensitive to those who have rationally decided to involve themselves within these events and be offended by proxy on behalf of those who have really suffered.

Like rich kids visiting Malawi on a purportedly heart wrenching exercise in poverty tourism, how many of those sounding off on Hillsborough are indulging in tragedy tourism?

Up against what? Please explain.

I'm not personalising, you seem to follow me around the forum and try to start things on threads that you haven't ever posted on (example the denmark hill thread).

I am not ashamed of anything I've ever said about Hillsborough, and feel every bit as much sympathy for the families as anyone else.

You often read my posts, then try to tell me what I meant by them, and start something. I didn't want this thread to become a slanging match, I have always found the whole hillsborough subject both sad, and interesting on an impersonal level. That is the reason I started this thread, and you are the reason it is now disrespectful.