Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

Sorry I'm late, I'm only giving it 30% today. Like every other day. It's likely that I'll get really angry and try and organise a strike if you're late with paying me though. Today is magazine reading day, but I can interrupt it to have a chat with a girlfriend about the fact that she saw an ex-boyfriend walking past a shop.

Do you want a cup of tea? It's my tea break now, like every other minute of the day.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry I'm late, I'm only giving it 30% today. Like

> every other day. It's likely that I'll get really

> angry and try and organise a strike if you're late

> with paying me though. Today is magazine reading

> day, but I can interrupt it to have a chat with a

> girlfriend about the fact that she saw an

> ex-boyfriend walking past a shop.

>

> Do you want a cup of tea? It's my tea break now,

> like every other minute of the day.

Are the workers not responding to your demands again? Tsk.

zeban Wrote:

> Sue, Vintage doesn't mean that at all. Some people

> do however misuse the term.

xxxxx

According to Wikipedia (yes I know, may well be wrong):

Vintage clothing is a generic term for new or second hand garments originating from a previous era. The phrase is also used in connection with a retail outlet, e.g. "vintage clothing store." It can also be used as an adjective: "This dress is vintage."

The word vintage is copied from its use in wine terminology, as a more elegant-seeming euphemism for "old" clothes.

Exactly Sue so you've just proved your earlier description is quite wrong! vintage means old or new clothes- meaning they're not necessarily second hand as they may never have been worn, from a previous era, usually stopping at the 80s.

I shop and buy vintage because I can find one of a kind pieces, which often fit differently than clothes now- better for my petite frame and ridiculously small feet, and often better quality than clothes made now, and are very good value for money, cheaper than mass produced, china made high street clothes. I also enjoy the experience of going to vintage fairs and spending hours trying to find that something special, so it's a kind of experience that you either like or don't like/get or don't get.

Certainly it has become a trendy term recently and thus is bandied about way too much and often misused but vintage clothes are fab and vintage shopping is extremely fun :)). Many buyers travel all around the world to source good pieces so it's quite rude to be so derogatary that they are things you wouldn't be able to sell 10 years ago. The vintage industry has been going for ages- I discovered it 10 years ago. I certainly don't like everything I come across in a vintage fair, but I'll always find something that I really love and it's definitely better than feeling depressed walking around Oxford Street.

Sue Wrote:

> "Deceptively spacious" - so that will mean

> extraordinarily small then, no?

>

> "Vintage" - old second hand stuff that ten years

> ago you wouldn't have been able to give away.

I think Sue's point is right though. Vintage is used (incorrectly) to describe the quality of an item, when actually it just means the year or time the item was made. "Vintage 70"s" applies to EVERYTHING made in the 70's, even if it's just the ugly tea cups at the back of the cupboard, which I think was what Sue was getting at. Other people's junk sounds much more appealing when called vintage, and people obviously fall for it. It certainly doesn't just pertain to clothing; a car can be vintage (ie: pre-war), a record (well I guess most records these days), anything really.

The other day I saw an ad for a "vintage" iphone, which made me laugh.