Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

This is the worst singing in any advert ever - Oh just sooooooo bad. Just how could it possibly happen?

It irritates badly - it could be that she has such a shallow voice - or that it's sacrilege of a funk/soul classic

zenoria65 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Breathy voiced girl singing Chaka Khan's classic

> "Ain't Nobody" for some random holiday

> company....

>

> ED209 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There's a certain type of song that has become

> > really popular in advertising that I call the

> John

> > Lewis cover song.

> >

> > It's generally a young lady singing a slow soft

> > ethereal cover version.

> >

> > Current examples are "Stand by Me" in a Nescafe

> > ad. "Send in the Clowns" in a car ad and "Ready

> or

> > Not" in a Green and Blacks ad.

> >

> > I am usually subjected to this at least twice

> when

> > I visit the cinema.

Elphinstone's Army Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> -----

> > Sue Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Elphinstone's Army Wrote:

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > > -----

> > > > Describing the busiest station/interchange

> in

> > > the

> > > > U.K. and indeed Europe, as Clappy J.

> > >

> > >

> > > Oh, I quite liked that when I saw it for the

> > first

> > > time on the forum this morning!

> > >

> > > I intend to use it from now on :))

> >

> > Gentrification has even invaded local slang!

> > Unbelieavable.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

>

> do not despair Louisa, really she won't, when she

> realises it's an Americanism and worthy only of a

> 12 year old :

> this will not enter a mature person's lexicon, be

> assured ...

Oh it has definitely entered my lexicon.

Who wants to be mature? 12 year olds are much more fun :))

• 3 weeks later...
Worth a thread in its own right but more and more friends have their mobile phone permanently to hand when we go out, some happy to have Whatsapp conversations, check their e-mails, have conversations on EDF, or just browse. Doing me head in, worse than the kids. I sit at a screen all day, I don't need to be permanently on one.

• 1 month later...

Ha ha ha.

I have just ordered a book on crochet from The Book People.

I haven't crocheted anything since an ill-fated waistcoat which turned into a sort of tunic thing, made of squares, circa 1970 :))

It was red, purple and white. Clearly ill-fated from the start.

And now I may be about to start again.

I feel your pain :)) :)) :))

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> I can recommend the crochet and knitting classes

> at Sharp Works in Herne Hill, a haven for ladies

> of a certain age (particularly their 'wellbeing

> crafternoon', which includes prosecco, pilates,

> tea and cake and macrame).

:)) :)) :))

Why don't people using self-service tills at the supermarket pack their stuff as they go? You know, pick item from basket, scan, put it in the bag? Had the most infuriating wait today in two separate supermarkets, particularly a two people who seemed to see it as a couples activity, both very slowly scanning items and staring into the distance, neither packing or apparently aware of the growing queue behind them. With a bit of teamwork they could have shaved 80% off their time, no problem. Ditto the group where (I'm not kidding) all three members of the group passed the item to each other in turn, again no one packing. And the man with the trolley with about twenty iceberg lettuces. Drives me nuts.

Perhaps I should organise some master classes. My standard technique now at self-service tills is just to bung the items into the bagging area. When that's completed I transfer everything two-handed back into the empty basket, with any overflow going into my rucksack or spare bag, and then take them all to the bagging shelf for final sorting.

Re TLTsTCYIR, I did have a rational piece of spleen to vent, about Southwark Libraries having signed up to the Access to Research scheme, God knows when, without any mention of it on their E-resources web page. I only learned about the scheme by chance today, on another borough's website. When I searched the Southwark website for "Access to research" I did find one document that mentioned the scheme, and that was the June 2017 PDF "List of newspapers and magazines available from Southwark Libraries"!! Grrr. But I can't be bothered now. If I get to the library though, and find that there's no obvious way of accessing it there, I will be back.

The Donmar cancelled tonight's performance 15 mins before curtain up. Frustrating that they didn't mention it was a possibility when I collected my ticket half an hour before that or when I booked two hours before that. There were clearly some intense conversations going on.

ETA that, two days later, it has been announced that a member of the cast has sadly died. Perhaps that's why they didn't give any explanation at the time.

This was probably posted last summer but anyway, it's a seasonal thing- I loathe when the weather is nice and you get a coffee and go to sit outside and you are immediately surrounded by morons chain smoking- it is Banned in NY so it's about time it was banned here!!(imvho)