Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

I've never really understood the logic behind Cockney rhyming slang and I'm from the east end myself (I bet you thought you were the only one eh Quids). Surely the objective of slang is to express a certain term/word in a shortened yet relevent application. However, the only people who use it nowadays are about as Cockney as Madonna.

bigbadwolf Wrote:

....Surely the objective of slang is to express a certain term/word in a shortened yet relevent application. However, the only people who use it nowadays are about as Cockney as Madonna.

You're getting a bit lemon lately My Son, coming the old acid...bet your Richard doesn't talk like that...

Oh dear lord no!

Whinging man-hating Scottish neighbour is having a party in her garden and someone has just got out the guitar for a singalong.

My ears, my poor ears!

(shakes head, checks earplugs are ready to go for later, turns up volume on "Inspector George Gently")

I know, it's really very bad, but for some reason there's no Come Dine With Me on this evening and I have an appalling headache, so can't cope with anything more heavyweight.

Jesus.

Now they're having a singalong on the bloody programme as well!

Oh, wonderful. The students on the other side are now having a barbecue, with soundtrack by Eminem's latest album. What's the maximum number of Nurofen you can eat in ten minutes?

Does anyone know how to get the smell of burnt sausages out of curtains? Febreze?

PinkyB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Or Cockney rhyming slang, maybe?

>

> Dandelion farmers. Dandelion farmers. It just

> doesn't sounds right. Why would anyone want to

> farm dandelions?

Exactly.

So why do they, next door, have this front lawn carpet of dandelions? (with all those little seeds wafting over into mine - prevailing westerly wind).

Problems with neighbours seems to be a recurring theme here. Wouldn't it be great if none of us had any? On second thoughts, that would mean we're so lonely, oh so lonely..... The Police track starts...

I think everyone in London is out in their garden this weekend! To be fair, we were yesterday evening too, but there are young kids staying with us so at least it was over nice and early. I fully expect both of these parties to go on into the wee small hours, and even if they don't, Scottish Bitch will be full of gin and come out and rail at how crap men are, the bastards, all on her own. Oh, joy.

bigbadwolf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've never really understood the logic behind

> Cockney rhyming slang and I'm from the east end

> myself (I bet you thought you were the only one eh

> Quids). Surely the objective of slang is to

> express a certain term/word in a shortened yet

> relevent application. However, the only people who

> use it nowadays are about as Cockney as Madonna.

Oh really well "I" am informed that it was used as code to avoid "one" being overheard by the "Ol'bill' or them there's coppers narks , na wot I mean an awl that. Cor fancy a salmon? betcha neves on it or even a monkey me ol son....wallop.

Lemon......na wiped me maaf of it pal, dit'nt wanna get rix'd.

W**F