Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

People who shout for no reason, (does not cause me irrational rage, just irritation.

People who swear every other word, not much else in their vocabulary.

when you smile at a random person in the street and they don't smile back and just look through you, or down their nose at you.

when the bus brakes hard as you're coming down the stairs of said bus.

when passengers stand in the doorway of the bus when one is trying to get off.

when the bus driver stops and the exit is close to a rubbish bin, and its difficult to get off.

in fact these things don't cause me to get into an irrational rage, they just upset me inwardly.

pavement hoggers (has this been mentioned?) dad, mum pushing buggy, backpacks, shopping bags in hand, wailing toddler clutching buggy, narrow pavement, tree, deep hedge, totally invisible pedestrian carrying shopping bags approaching, no one moves aside. or buggy and childrens mothers meetings on the corner of North Cross/CPR also, regularly, completely oblivious to pedestrians, who are required to step in the road? Pavement Rage.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 'Guys and girls' should be allowed to die with

> Jimmy Savile.

yes, guys and gals he said, shudder, also, 'you guys' in a mixed group, its so Friends and so passe,

Salsaboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mmmm raspberry ripple ice cream. *Heads out door

> on urgent ice cream buying mission*

just watch out for the lack of raspberry in some brands?

Mint Choc chip (my favourite) can also have an unequal ratio ice-cream:choc chip now that I think about it.

so trivial I know, but not for some

it annoying when you type in a box (i.e. a form) on your pc and want to scroll down or up, and want to use the arrow keys and it won't let you and you have to use the mouse pad and go to the scroll bar at the right hand side of the screen. Does anyone else find this annoying, would not say it causes irrational rage, it gets on my nerves.

Anyone know a solution to this? x

Hun.

It appears to be particularly used by people selling stuff to people they don't even know who might buy it.

Not on this forum thank God.

I keep accidentally seeing it on Facebook and it drives me incandescent with rage every time grrrr grrrr grrrr grrrrr

Maybe it's because of my age, apart from anything else it's like a don't mention the war kind of moment :))

ETA: I am aware it's supposed to be short for honey. At least I assume it is grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

Seabag I have to agree. Some of the people of Cornwall and Devon's tourist resort who owns small businesses tend to have quite a negative approach to people who are in effect keeping their businesses alive and kicking through the summer season. They open and close at hours which suite them. I was once told by a pub which advertised it's famous lunchtime offering of food, that the chef had popped to the shops but I was welcome to go and get a sandwich and crisps from the co-op and eat it in the pub. Thanks but no thanks.

Louisa.

The dreadful habit that people have slipped into of using an adjective as an adverb.

So a bus may be slow. This is a relative term. But the buses don't go more slowly when compared to each other or another form of transport. They go slower.

Things don't move more quickly. They move quicker or faster.

Not sure that's right, Malumbu. 'More slowly' is still correct for the comparative adverb in British English, I believe. I know 'slower' has crept in, probably via the American English route, and now seems to be accepted too; not all that keen myself, but then I'm getting old. 'Slowlier' still exists (adverbs with two syllables ending in '-ly' usually change to '-lier' in the comparative) but has become somewhat archaic now.

No, slow/slower/slowest are adjectives, so that bus is slower, that bus is slowest.

Slowly is an adverb, so that bus moves more slowly than the other is fine - it's not using an adjective as an adverb, it's an adverb in its own right and listed as such in the OED.

You wouldn't say "The bus moved slow down the street" (you might have in the C19th), would you, you'd say it moved slowly, so if you're comparing another bus "it moved more slowly" is fine.

Fowler's Modern English Usage (pedants' bible): "The normal adverb for general purposes is slowly, not slow. However the comparatives and superlatives slower and slowest are as acceptable as more slowly and most slowly."

ETA this a reply to Malumbu not RPC