Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

I disagree that a "noone says a word" about Mears and Laugher. Their success was given lots of airtime on the BBC and online and they feature in today's papers. They're not going to be household names, even with this level of success, so it isn't fair to compare them to the (er, over-exposed) Daley. More like them (and the other UK athletes of all disciplines).

To keep on post: dimbo, selfish parents who think it's a good thing to show their contact-bereft young child a kid's cartoon/show with the volume on on a bus or train.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To keep on post: dimbo, selfish parents who think it's a good thing to show their contact-bereft

> young child a kid's cartoon/show with the volume on on a bus or train.

Or let them play some phone-app game on full volume. Blip blip blip BING BING blip blip weeyup BING blip blip blip...

Drivers that refuse to look your way or acknowledge that you have done them a favour. Yes,I am talking about you, the lady with no manners doing your lipstick in the 4x4 this morning on Ivydale road/Lanbury at 7.30am. Had I not swayed and waited for you, you would have crashed into the side of the car where my 4 yr old was happily munching on his apple. You realised that you nearly crashed into us, but could not acknowledge with a glance or a wave that I saved your "no claims bonus". That hideous lippie was more important I guess.

My son now knows the F-word, great

You are an idiot - and your lipstick looks awful

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The often repeated fatuous remarks you get under

> some people's Facebook photos

U ok hun? x x

>>>>>

People pushing trolleys sideways down the supermarket aisles. (There's an epidemic in Sainsbury's today.)

The word 'Guy'is a very old word dating back to the gunpowder plot of 1605, when a bunch of Catholic political figures decided it would be a good idea to kill the king at the state opening of parliament by planting a load of gunpowder in the cellar of the parliament building. After this failed attempt, the word guy came to represent a grotesque or ignorant man, which was transported via cultural ties to the United States, where over the years the phrase came to just mean a man, or later anyone, in an informal setting.

So it's actually not American by origin at all, it's origins are from here in London.

Louisa.

Even if your etymology is correct it is a word that most of us associate with the USA, not Britain, and its adoption here over the past ten/fifteen years (probably because of the internet rather than films and music) definitely sounds imported. You hear it in adverts all the time: Asda mums in Pontefract say it, just as middle-class stag-lads do. I much prefer "bloke" or "man". It's become a bit naff, IYAM.