Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well, I finally completed it, just before the

> deadline. Fingers crossed the worst is over. New

> laptop now sleeping snugly in a bag I crocheted.

Hi RPC.. ..

What point did your upgrade fail and what did you do to Fix it ?

DulwichFox

It might be a different situation as I bought a new laptop with 8.1 on it and the instructions I was given were wrong. It took a while to work out that first I needed to download and install all available updates for the existing version. Eventually that will produce a prompt to upgrade. My original attempts via the W10 download site didn't work.

On a new laptop there are several waves of updates (several hundred items), and one item was so large it kept getting stuck. I don't have WiFi at home so using a hotspot probably didn't help. The first laptop also had faults so I returned it, eventually found another and started again. The final attempt took 2-3 days.

If you've already downloaded all the updates, maybe it's the memory problem you mentioned? As the deadline for the free upgrade has now passed, maybe you could find someone locally who downloaded it to a flash drive and see if that works?

Hydrangeas. Not all hydrangeas. Those big boring bright pink ones.

They sit around all year with boring leaves, then they have horrible boring pink flowers.

They take up space that nicer plants could be in.

Oh, AND I just noticed today that my hair is going very grey grrrrrrr :(

That's not quite the point though is it. Last might's match is part of 18 months of raising awareness as well as funds for Rooney's chosen charities. Apart from the match, none of the other charity events will make the back pages of the nationals, unless Rooney is caught puffing on a fag in a hospital car park. Clubs and footballers do a lot of charity work behind the scenes that never gets recognised. Demonizing footballers is easy, of course they are paid way too much, yet everyone who sits in their comfy armchair at home or in a pub watching Sky/BT is just as complicit as to the current state of the game. This Q&A from the Mail's Martin Samuel is an excellent reposte to the snipers...

The true people that devote their time to doing good for others do not get recognition for their efforts. Maybe the odd MBE, the lowest honour going. These people work without monetary reward and do not get the publicity they deserve. Yet along comes Rooney, making a visit to a children's hospital, and the press are all over it like a cheap suit. He is doing this for himself, look at me, what a caring person I am. What a hypocrite. It sickens me to see so-called celebrities cashing in on their fame, to promote themselves. How much has Rooney donated to various charities? The people that really do good in the community and raise millions for charities do not do staged photoshoots. These people remain anonymous. That's why this act by Rooney is so obvious, it's nauseating. You?re not fooling anyone. Let him put his money where his mouth is, and put his hand in his own pocket. Mike A Harris, Clacton-on-Sea.

Martin Samuel:

We can presume from this post that Mike is one of those who selflessly devotes time and money to charity each year, because it would be hypocritical in the extreme if he just sat around moaning that wealthy young footballers should do more. So, good for you Mike. Well done. We?re all very grateful for your, no doubt, huge contribution. As such a generous person, you will no doubt be aware that the tax laws changed in April, meaning that testimonial events and the benefits from them became subject to tax. So if Rooney just wrote a cheque and sent it off, a significant percentage would be lost to the charities anyway. That is why he had to create the Wayne Rooney Foundation and make sure it raised money as a charity would. Equally, the good causes desire recognition. That Rooney can publicise the need for funds at Alder Hey or Claire House is a crucial point. Those places are delighted to see him, delighted to be attracting the publicity from his visit. They want the cameras there, they want the photographs and the plugs, and so do the parents. They do not resent Rooney?s presence, they see the good that will come of it, they recognise the genuine nature of his intentions. Rooney has been on the other side, too. Coleen?s sister was treated, and died at 14, in these places: I think it is rather nasty, in those circumstances, that you would doubt his motives, or think it is all about personal adulation. If it was, he could just stay home. He?s a famous footballer. He?s got 75,000 Manchester United fans at Old Trafford and millions more around the world who love him. Accompanying him on these visits I saw the sincerity. The cameras were only there to publicise the testimonial and the good causes; it is plain he is a regular visitor in a private capacity, too. And the people that really do good in the community remain anonymous? Not true. Alder Hey publishes the names of its patrons: Wayne and Coleen Rooney, Jamie Carragher, Beth Tweddle, Leighton Baines, AP McCoy, Andrew and Rachel Flintoff, Mick Fitzgerald, and this is just from the world of sport. I?d wager you didn?t have a clue that they were all so involved, but they?re not anonymous. What would be the point of that? Charity needs publicity. Rooney could make anonymous donations, and probably does ? not much point asking him about it, because what is a man to say to the question ?do you donate anonymously?? ? but can achieve more raising the profile so that pilot schemes become something of permanence. My wife?s aunt Jean was a volunteer at her local hospital. Lovely lady, Jean. She ran the tea shop, did all she could. But could she achieve anything that would write a cheque for ?5m? No. So Jean helped in her own way because she?s that type of person, but a famous footballer can make a real difference. After I wrote about Rooney?s testimonial there were a few who thought he should just hand his money over; yet none of them offered to say what they did. Do any of them even do as much as Auntie Jean?

When ordering a pint of Guinness and as it settles the bar staff asks, "where you sitting, I'll bring it over when it settles". They then go about serving others, taking food orders and chatting. It never arrives*

*I wait at the bar now, but see it happening all he time to others.

People who carry back packs and don't seem to realise they take up space. So they hit you in the face on a bus/block up aisles/ bump into you when they turn round.

Also people with wheeled luggage who trail it behind in crowded stations, then just randomly stop.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Price of cherries and raspberries.

If you want a good deal on them, a drive down the A303 towards Stonehenge this time of year is bargain basement for these delicious fruits. Every other lay by has a farmer with a tent selling punnets at very good value for money prices.

Might cost a bit in petrol though.

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> People in pubs.. outside pubs .. Vaping.. Blowing

> plumes of fumes in the air or worst in my

> direction..

> Tossers..

>

> Fox.

Agree Foxter

Just vaping in general goes my goat, specially the big box variety

I often think these people need a light tazering

I certainly don't think people should be vaping indoors.

But I have been considering giving it a go recently, as I am fed up with coughing for days after a trip to the pub (the only time I really smoke fags these days).