Awful Experience in HSBC

spirit

jason cox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The staff member who thought it was okay to make a

> joke about it afterwards was so off the mark.

Making a joke under these circumstances is a positive human reaction that serves a very useful purpose.

As a student of psychology, I would refer you to an extract from "The Psychology of Humor" by Rod A. Martin. Here is the link http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ieAcp2Z_zkIC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=joking+after+tension+stress&source=bl&ots=cueGVnDbSJ&sig=Mu9gZcjlnDhoT9h9sh4zchoiFyI&hl=en&ei=33TUSZ_NHsaNjAfF5az9Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6

Seems to me therefor that the member of staff should be commended for his/her action with regard to the joke.

That said, why don't you tell us what the joke was. We all really would like to know and it may just make us all feel less stressful over this rather sad event.

???? Wrote:

> I think this thread should probably go down as EDF

> Gold......

I've screengrabbed it and put in the internet vault.

What concerns me is one day I'm likely to become a subject of a thread on here if this is all it takes, as I'm far worse than the bloke mentioned. In fact, maybe I already have.. :(

Growlybear Wrote:

> I've read the OP several times now, and I'm

> struggling to understand the justification of her

> complaint. Whilst the man concerned sounds as

> though he was unnecessarily rude, to be honest, if

> I was in a hurry to use the machine in a bank and

> was prevented from doing so by someone who was

> faffing around with all her possessions spread

> around everywhere and not actually using the

> machine, I think I would have been extremely

> irritated as well. I would never dream of

> starting a transaction at an ATM or blocking

> access to it until I had my card in my hand, and

> was ready to start using it immediately.

>

> It's a bit like people in supermarkets who

> suddenly realise that they just might be expected

> to get their purse or wallet out to pay for their

> purchases when they've packed every last thing

> away, and hold up the queue for ages whilst they

> search for their card.

or wait until they actually get on the bus, facing the driver, before looking for money, card etc. now i know why nigel,s angry. as far as i see from the original post, the bank was busy, someone is faffing around holding up the machine which others need to use, yeh maybe he went about things the wrong way but the as i read he needs to use the machine and there is someone totting up cheques and not using the machine, he has the right to step in and use it.

JohnL Wrote:

> Huguenot Wrote: somewhere before recently and it ended up in two life sentences? I'm bemused.

No, Unbelievably it ended in 4 years for one and 18 months for the other

and the same Guy got 5 years for Robbery in 1997!...yet "4" for Manslaughter less his third off etc...

Poor Form.

I suspect the originator got more than she bargained for when she invited the diverse views of The EDF.

In life "friends" will often just offer Sympathy and say "You are right"....its not quite like that on here.

People gave their honest appraisals and I found it fascinating witnessing the different angles and approaches people had.

C'est La Vie.

Hear hear Mikecg, very true

TLS you know very little about the situation, maybe the bank requested she take it down? What's more your comment's really pompous, who made you moral arbiter? What a joke you are.

I thought the whole cross examining thing was rough, there were a lot of people chipping in with a personal axe to grind about perceived time wasters, without any proof that she was, would that have justified it anyway? Not having been there it's impossible to know what happened but one thing's for sure, if some guy starts pushing a woman around in a bank I would not be looking for ways to justify his behaviour and those that do are full of it.

Honest appraisals, more like a character assassination.. Good work TLS! Some people are just bullies, there are far too many of them on this forum as well, hide behind your forum names and stick the boot in. Luckily there are enough people with a brain on here to stop it becoming a nasty clique.

Well you hold a tyranny over most of the local businesses, the same people back each other up again and again and most of the time you don't actually have an awful lot to say, it's just a slanging match.

There are some genuine areas that are really great for the community but there's also a lot on here that brings the area down.

I know business owners who are really wary of the forum and all it stands for. Isn't it just a way to get them to give you free stuff in return for being left alone?

I can see how this is open to exploitation and manipulation... even if you can't.

who_cares Wrote:

> Hear hear Mikecg, very true

>

> TLS you know very little about the situation,

> maybe the bank requested she take it down? What's

> more your comment's really pompous, who made you

> moral arbiter? What a joke you are.

>

> I thought the whole cross examining thing was

> rough, there were a lot of people chipping in with

> a personal axe to grind about perceived time

> wasters, without any proof that she was, would

> that have justified it anyway? Not having been

> there it's impossible to know what happened but

> one thing's for sure, if some guy starts pushing a

> woman around in a bank I would not be looking for

> ways to justify his behaviour and those that do

> are full of it.

>

> Honest appraisals, more like a character

> assassination.. Good work TLS! Some people are

> just bullies, there are far too many of them on

> this forum as well, hide behind your forum names

> and stick the boot in. Luckily there are enough

> people with a brain on here to stop it becoming a

> nasty clique.

Sockpuppet of the week.

who_cares Wrote:

> Well you hold a tyranny over most of the local

> businesses, the same people back each other up

> again and again and most of the time you don't

> actually have an awful lot to say, it's just a

> slanging match.

>

> There are some genuine areas that are really great

> for the community but there's also a lot on here

> that brings the area down.

>

> I know business owners who are really wary of the

> forum and all it stands for. Isn't it just a way

> to get them to give you free stuff in return for

> being left alone?

>

> I can see how this is open to exploitation and

> manipulation... even if you can't.

me? me? ME? No one gives me any free frickin stuff - tell me where I go. And what do you mean I don't have much to say, cheeky bugger.

At the risk of Fisking

how so? You think before the forum the community didn't bitch about local businesses anyway? The good businesses I know of engage with their potential customers and I can think of many who have used the forum to do just that. They appear to be doing well

sadly, I agree with this

again how so? The only thing I'm aware of is some snack on forum drinks nights - sometimes we have been the only customers there

Again agreed - many unscrupulous peole register and post inflammatory messages about other businesses. But if you do follow them you will see that such practice is given short shrift. And when it is given short shrift the offended poster cries "clique" - which is one reason why that accusation bothers me so much

You've got to admit though, the same people back each other up again and again and there are small businesses that are scared of the forum's clique. But hey let's not call you cliquey, that's just not allowed. Big deal, you're cliquey, get used to it. Be honest.

I heard a woman shout "I'll report you to the forum" after her request to return a pair of shoes 2 years after purchasing them was refused. It upset the staff and I can see why. It also discredits the forum.

Like I said, there's a lot of good stuff on here but woe betide anyone who pisses off the wrong people.

I also think that if you have a gripe you should make a complaint to the business first. I think it's fine to vent if you want advice and a lot of the advice is really helpful and sometimes people are just looking for someone to listen to them, not everyone has people to talk to about this stuff but it can give rise to bullying. That's when it goes too far.

Why on earth is this thread still here when the original post has gone?

It doesn't make any sense at all to anyone who didn't read the OP.

And it makes no sense to me either as I read the OP (and posted a response) but didn't read the subsequent comments before they were removed.