Receptionist stands in for nurse during patient's intimate medical exam at Melbourne Grove MP

Today I attended MGMP for an appointment. It was for a "female problem" (down below)which would require an examination - and in view of this I had specifically booked with a female doctor. On my arrival I was told that the female doctor had not turned up and that I was now booked with a male - but was re-assured that when it came to the "exam" part of the appointment that I should request that a female nurse attends. Not brilliant, but fine. A lady came in, I was told to strip off and bare all and to lie on the couch in a position consistent with providing the doctor and lady with a good accessible view of my vagina/anus/peehole etc. Whilst in that rather degrading position it suddenly dawned on me that the lady was not in fact a nurse, but one of the receptionists! I asked the obvious question and my fears were confirmed. By then, she had seen all, so I proceeded with the examination. However, my question is: IS THIS RIGHT? Or am I overeacting?

Whole thing seems crap to me.

You should register with the Dulwich Medical Practice (I think?) in Crystal Palace Road - I've always seen a woman doctor there whenever I've asked for one.

The reason for a woman being in with a male doctor is as a chaperone - not the same thing at all as being examined by a woman and/or not wanting to be examined by a man.

No, not overreacting at all. This seems extremely unprofessional as she was neither doctor (even training medical student) nor nurse. I agree with Sue that the receptionist was there as a chaperone, but it just exemplifies how understaffed and ill-managed they are. Poor you for such an experience. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Have we clarified whether the female receptionist type was or wasn't registered as a nurse? ie if you hadn't seen her before the exam would we have a problem, and do we know her expertise? Your post says "it suddenly dawned on me that the lady was not in fact a nurse, but one of the receptionists! I asked the obvious question and my fears were confirmed." Just to check is it possible a person can be both? I guess what I'm saying is do we know if the person you first saw as a receptionist is qualified or not. If you first saw her as a nurse, and she then appeared as a receptionist, would we be worrying that they're using medical staff for admin purposes? etc etc etc....

And, what is the purpose of the nurse (clearly I'm a bloke!) Is it to medically assist the doc so to what extent does their medical expertise counts from a clinical perspective? (Genuine question btw but would like facts before I go into one)