Chinese Restaurants

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> *Bob* Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> > Lamoon is Thai

> It says Lamoon Chinese Restaurant on the sign.

> Should we be informing the trade descriptions

> people?

Good Lord. How can I have been such a goose? Having had a quick look at the takeaway menu, it seems I was talking about 'Lombok' and not 'Lamoon' all along.

My problem is - they all look the same to me (takeways establishments beginning with 'L', I mean, obviously)

I'm surprised to read that some forum members treated my first post with suspicion. Being a new joiner to the forum it leaves me doubting whether this is a place members are free to express their experiences and share their views! I don't feel it is necessary to justify my comments as it was a true reflection (even if it does go against the consensus of other diners). I have logged on today to look for other restaurant reviews and recommendations in the ED area but will probably reconsider - which is a shame as I was looking forward to being an active member of this forum.

Stella

You aren't the first person to mention such an experience but I hope you also noted comments supporting you

I hope it doesn't really put you off posting on here - if you do browse further you will see there is a wide variety of opinions and everyone welcome. And the more restaurants you comment on the more people can gaugue wether your opinion chimes with theirs!

• Administrator

Stella

Yesterday I had to edit some posts because they were by a builder pretending to be someone else recommending his services and this was flagged up by a user. This is something that does happens every now and then and we do try and monitor it but it's part of the way the forum works, sometimes these are flagged up by the users of this forum which bring them to our attention and we act accordingly.

That said people are free to express their experiences and share their views and I don't want you to think otherwise and hold back. You're exceptionally welcome to be a new joiner to the forum and find it useful and fun, please don't be put off and, as SeanMacGabhann said, please note the comments supporting you. Please let me know personally if you have any other issues.

As for Chopsticks I've never been there but then I'm an omnipresent being and only eat air and Spicy Tomato Wheat Crunchies.

Regards

It can be a pretty rambunctious crowd in here sometimes, but I'd echo the welcomes and encouragement, and hope that you stick around long enough to start enjoying the experience.

Sadly there have been quite a few dodgy and self-promoting posts in the past, so as usual it's the few spoiling it for the many. I ramble, in short a big HELLOOO and what do you think of Mr Liu's? I had a shocker there on tuesday.

Tried take away from Gold Lee this week after the good remarks on this thread, have to say it was a bit hit and miss

Pork in yellow bean sauce was good

Chicken Curry was pretty poor seemed like packet curry sauce from the chippy (never really go for chicken curry at chinese restaurants so can't compare)

Noodles with mixed veg had no flavour at all, veg seemed a bit 'gloopy' which always hints at MSG overload to me.

And why can't any Chinese do proper starters rather than the same old frozen stuff they all churn out, same as desserts in indian places (not another coconut ice cream in a half shell please)

Maybe I just chose badly but I think I'l be trying Lamoon next time

It suprises me that nobody has opened a wagamama style noodle bar round here, some relaxed, quick served Ramen, Sushi etc would be most welcome (or am I 5 years out of date here?)

> It suprises me that nobody has opened a wagamama

> style noodle bar round here, some relaxed, quick

> served Ramen, Sushi etc would be most welcome (or

> am I 5 years out of date here?)

The Noodle Bar opposite Mrs Robinsons is an early version of Waggamammas and much cheaper. Not bad nosh either

stella, just be happy that you didn't mention se5, the possibility that you may support a chain opening on the LL or that you know or are related to any estate agents...now that would inspire edf 'witty' wrath.

this said i went to chopsticks and thought neither bar nor good of it. our local takeway by hoopers has just changed hands and although the menu has shrunk the food does seem a tad better. it's called the 4 seasons, has not been reviewed by jay raynor and probably uses too much msg but hey, it's on my doorstep.

very interested by lamoon recommendations, shall definitely be trying them out.

personally, i also like to indulge in some fujiyama take away. it is one of those brixton staples that doesn't travel too badly.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Noodle Bar opposite Mrs Robinsons is an early

> version of Waggamammas and much cheaper. Not bad

> nosh either

Not really... wagamama is Japanese(ish)... ramen, katsu, udon, etc. The place you speak of (is it called cafe noodle or something?) is primarily chinese.

Buoyed up by confident recommendations on this here forum, Mrs *Bob* and I chanced our arm and ordered a takeaway from 'Lamoon' last night. It came nicely wrapped, which was promising. And the food was darned good. All the dishes actually tasted of something different, instead of that 'Chinese takeaway taste' we all know and love.

So it looks like Chinese is back on le menu.

Everyone give themselves a pat on the back. Except 'Chopsticks' on account of them serving rubbish food.

ha, i think the chinese would like to be reviewed by jay raynor too, but not too sure that he'd be that positive about it. having said that my sister had some left overs and it was a load better than the previous owners. it's changed name to sechuazan (sp?)...

i am intrigued by lamoon now especially with all the positive feed back, shall be trying them.

If you want to make your own Chinese food, and avoid some of the MSG-laden gloop served up in takeaways, get the books by Fuchsia Dunlop. She's lived and trained out there and knows her onions. Google her. I am NOT her agent. Nero

• 1 month later...

Thanks to fellow forumites, and not being bothered to cook last night, I persuaded Mr LWL to stop by on his way home and pick up a menu from Gold Lee. We ordered a vast selection from the delights on offer (my parents were over too and went a bit mad) and have to report that it was very delicious for all of us.

So Gold Lee gets the thumbs up from me too. At last, I've found a local chinese that does a good all round menu. Nothing too fancy or 'out there' - what you see is what you get.