Franklins - ah now I get it!

I'd never worked out why Franklins was called Franklins ... now I get it - perfect!

Just been reading Peter Ackroyd's new translation of the Canterbury Tales and realised where the name must come from....

"He was a lavish host in his neighbourhood, and worshipped at the shrine of St Julian, the patron saint of hospitality. Hi s bread and his ale were always of the finest quality; he had a well-stocked wine-cellar, too. There was no shortage of roast meatat his table. There were baked pheasants, and geese, and wild fowl, and pullets,and pork. There was fish served in green sauce, partridges roasted inginger, peacocks with pepper sauce, lobster in vinegar,fried eels in sugar and mackerel in mint sauce. The meals changed with the seasons, but they were always plentiful. The whole house snowed meat and drink"

Tasty AND clever - lovely.

But no! - just checked out their website - apparently the owner is a Mr Franklin ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They used to be a cafe in Franklins antique shop on Camberwell Road which was a great place (the cafe in the shop not Camberwell Road)....knocked down for flats and they moved to SE22 from SE5....not unlike meny of us...

• 15 years later...
2 hours ago, alice said:

Lots of people have  worked in different places. I don’t think it’s interesting to announce that. 

Well, I was interested.

It's a thread about Franklins, FFS.

Many people are probably not interested in many posts on the forum, but they  don't feel the need to announce it to everybody, especially not so rudely.

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1