Oh Muuum!

HonaloochieB

There are standard things that Mothers say.

On coming home with an LP I would always be asked "What have you there? Another one of them? Haven't you got enough records"?, in my mother's Galway brogue

If I didn't reply I at least spritually gave an 'Oh Muuum'.

Mine would also use the phrase 'signs is on' when making a vague threat about withdrawing a privilege or present, as in 'Signs is on, Christmas is coming'. It would be delivered with a nod, a knowing nod and the implication being that expected gifts might not be bestowed upon us.

Also talking of Christmas, as a child I had the privilege of living on Waterloo Road, there was a 'Sally Ann' hostel round the corner. Many of the tramps would have large and impressive grey/white beards.

So from mid-October whenever my sister and were deemed to be 'eejiting' or worse still 'going on' in public and one such Harry Ramp was in sight, we'd be brought instantly in line by our mother telling us "Look, look who's coming, that's Father Christmas and he's watching you"

The effect was instant behaviour modification on the part of me and sis.

Though despite it, I never got a Johnny 7. Still I'm almost over that. Nearly.

So what phrases or devices have your Mums employed?

bigbadwolf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "I didn't carry you for nine months to expect that

> sort of behaviour"

Thanks BBW for reminding me of "Go to the dentist, I didn't breastfeed you for nine months for you to lose your teeth"

How that one slipped my mind I don't know.

..."Eyes bigger than your belly"

"There's no such word as can't"

"Don't say what, say pardon"

And my dad would say, in response to me running in after playing lamp-post tick or British Bulldog with the kids in Hawkins Close, saying 'Blimey I'm sweating' (I was a tom-boy):

"Horses sweat, ladies perspire"!

My poor parents never did quite manage to shape me into a genteel :-p

"just try a tiny bit" (ref food you did not like)

"praise where praise is due" (either about yourself when you have done something well, or about others)

"this isn't a bloody hotel" (the teenage years)

funny how families differ TL, my Mum would have had a fit if we had use the expression "pardon", and a "Lady" was a person with a title - 'woman' was the word we were supposed to use for a female...

Anything positive????????? Do we only remember the negatives said? My Mom worked full time, raised three children, and still managed to get a hot meal on the table by 6PM for my dad coming in from work himself...who looked after her? I can't imagne how she did it. But then again that was the 50's and all things were possible then.!!!

"You Cowson!"

"You're a "Schemer" !"

"Don't Soft-Soap Me"

Have to say she was just the most fantastic loving person who I kissed and hugged every day, as an Adult (almost every day).

As her Tombstone says "To My Darling Angel"...and she was!

Happy Mothers Day Sweetheart!

p.s. Don't mind me not going to the Cemetary today as it will be full of "once/twice a year 'ers" and the Flowers are overpriced accordingly.

I'll be back there soon.;-)

When I was overdue my bedtime on a schoolnight, my mum would say

"C'mon fanny-anne fannacker-pan" -- still to this day don't know where it's from or what a fannacker pan is!!

Happy Mothers Day to my lovely mum, and all the other mum's out there ...hope you're having a great day :)

PS -- If you were one of the people buying flowers from Alan's florist this morn, well done you -- t'was lovely to watch people walking up the road with big bunches of flowers and baskets as I sipped my latte in Nero :)

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

> "You Cowson!"

> "You're a "Schemer" !"

> "Don't Soft-Soap Me"

>

> Have to say she was just the most fantastic loving

> person who I kissed and hugged every day, as an

> Adult (almost every day).

>

> As her Tombstone says "To My Darling Angel"...and

> she was!

>

> Happy Mothers Day Sweetheart!

>

> p.s. Don't mind me not going to the Cemetary today

> as it will be full of "once/twice a year 'ers" and

> the Flowers are overpriced accordingly.

>

> I'll be back there soon.;-)

Eloquent and touching TLS, I throw a salute your way.

My lovely mum wouldn't say it to me directly, so she used to remind me that her mum was always telling her "I want never gets"

I remember a friend's mum telling us "a bored person is a boring person" - frankly I think she was too lazy to find ways to entertain us and was trying to make herself look better!

My father used to tell me that 'football was a game for gentlemen played by animals, and rugby was a game for animals played by gentleman' - amazing he died 16 years ago and was able to predict Wayne Rooney's antics on Saturday!!!

My mother used to tell me after an argument that although she didn't like me very much at that moment she would always love me no matter what I did.

When I had done something wrong accidently and tried to get out of a telling off for it by saying " but I thought...." my mum in a very frustrated voice would always say " Thought, do you know what thought did? He wee'd in his pants and thought he was sweating !"

Though as i got older it became the slightly more risque "pee'd in his pants and thought he was sweating! "

I said it recently to my little girl just for old times sakes!

ThinLizzy Wrote:

> When I was overdue my bedtime on a schoolnight, my

> mum would say

> "C'mon fanny-anne fannacker-pan" -- still to this

> day don't know where it's from or what a fannacker

> pan is!!

>

My mum used to call me Fanny Anne. HATED IT!! (6)