cycle routes from ED

Go to southwark Town Hall and pick up the range of London Cycle Maps. Or order them online - they detail several routes. Because London isn't grid-based like NYC, for example, and is actually highly inefficient roadwise you find that 90% of roads rarely have much traffic on them and the other 10% are gridlocked. The trick is finding the quiet roads and building a route out of them.

ps

I've cycled through Burgess Park at night regularly for the past 5 years and never had a problem. You're as likely to be attacked anywhere - just be more wary at night.

The mood on this forum seems to be that of ED as this enclave of safe superiority, and the surrounding boroughs as a badlands full of knife-wielding oiks.

I used to live in Manchester where the Chorlton and Didsburyites were the same. Then someone was stabbed on Beech Road (Manchester's Lordship lane) and there was talk of them having 'invaded'.

Look like you have a purpose and you'll be fine, unless you're really unlucky.

Statistically you're more likely to be seriously injured by an improperly-hung Julian Opie print falling on your head as you recline in your replica Barcelona chair.

One of my favourite routes is a nice chilled circuit that takes you through

A lively Camberwell and up the Walworth Rd (after negotiating DK Hill)

cross the E&C to Southwark Bridge

Stroll along the Southbank and perhaps stop for a coffee and cake.

Saddle up at the London Eye

Cycle over Westminster Bridge and past Parliament as you head along the embankment.

Come back South over the Albert Bridge

Nip into Battersea Park and follow the Thames to Queenstown Rd.

Then head straight up towards Clapham, through Brixton, Herne Hill and Dulwich Village and finally back at the EDT in ED.

Great when the weather is like this and always plenty going on.