Architect vs "renovation experts" - any advice?

movingeast

Not naming names, I have met with an architect who I really liked and then met someone who runs a renovations company - not an architect but highly experienced .

Architect has less house experience but I felt very comfortable talking to them, and showed the right attention to detail.

Renov person was less personable but seemed to have all the right experience and knowledge.

Our house is going to need a fair bit of work and I am going to rely heavily on the person I am working with because we haven't done anything like this before.

I am struggling to get hold of the renovation person whereas I had no problem getting hold of the architect after the meeting as it is just one person not a company.

Not sure who to go with. I had decided on the renovation person but am irritated already that my main contact is hard to get hold of (leaving mugs with reception). Architect seems like a risk but I think they'd rise to any challenges our project presented.

If you're irritated with the renovation expert already, it will be hard to get over this feeling and will not bode well for the future even if he is the best there is. Doesn't mean you have to go with the architect though - get in touch with other renovation experts before making a final decision?