Is Alleyn's School a cuckoo?

As I think I have made clear above, I am certainly not an apologist for or even a great supporter of the independent schools. My daughter is, as I have mentioned on other threads in different contexts, at the Charter and has always been in local state schools.

The reason that 'parking up' on their land is not relevant is that the coach service is, from my understanding, for all the foundation schools - so they pull up and drop off and then head off to Dulwich College etc. I don't think when they pull up on Townley they cause an obstruction per se - there is still room to get past. The real problem is the excess hundreds of cars that drive into the central Dulwich area on every school day. If every pupil arrived by coach, the impact would be (relatively) minimal.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alleyns is one of the Jewels In The Crown of

> Dulwich.

>

> You are very fortunate to have such a fine

> Educational Establishment in your locality.

Sadly Tony, I cannot feel proud to have such a blunt instrument of control and the class system on my dooorstep.

Call me old fashioned, but I think local amenties should directly benfit the people whjo live there.

Lucky you Asset as the school on my street is a state school they haven't broken up yet. Shorter holidays = more parking disruption during the year. How fortunate you are that your school is a private one , with all those long holidays and that it has a swimming pool you can use. Just out of interest, are there any pools in the area that offer free swimming clubs for kids ???no i didn't think so.

Amelie Wrote:

> The schools (Dulwich College, Alleyn's, James

> Allen's and St Olave's) are not major landowners.

> The Edward Alleyn Foundation is the landowner.

>

Interesting this. Well, not that interesting. The Dulwich Estate owns an awful lot of land in Dulwich including the commercial properties in DV plus parts of W Dulwich and parts of Herne Hill, and the so called Manor Wastes, but they don't own the schools. The schools own the freehold of their own premises. Income from the 'Estate' does go to the schools for educational purposes, scholarships etc. but, as far as I am aware they are all separate entities, connected in many ways but independent of each other.

They are all charities.

ED ?Gods Gift? Oldie

oooh we pay to use alleyns school pool, yet we slag them off as well ! how about they ban you and you can explain to your kids what a cantancerous old grouch you are !!! the bit that you do not get is that it is a private school just like say a pub, you have no divine right to be on the premises. if you want they can both bar you, you seem to think that as it is a school you have some say in it, any more so than the running of the bishop the EDT or the mag !

It's a private school with a charitable status which it keeps courtesy of the benefit they provide to the local community. As a family of 6 members of that local community we, like Asset, have yet to see any benefit fro their existence.

You're on a roll AfN!!

BTW I was told that the brilliant boot sales were simply a means to raise money for the redevelopment of the playing fields and cricket pavilion. Once they'd done that they stopped them. They were never intended as any altruistic action by Alleyns for the benefit of the local community like say . . . .ummmm . . .err . . hmmm?

I don't slag the school off particularly, as I said before I'm sure it is very good and I have friends who have kids there. I am still allowed - I think - to disagree in principal with private education and to get pissed off with the congestion.

I think that the staff and pupils should be encouraged to use public transport rather than drive to school. I think that about all school journeys wherever.

well i think by the benefit "they provide to the local community" you must then be referring to A. your house prices and B. the fact that so much land is kept as just that, providing a wonderful alternative view to say inner city peckham etc ! My god i am only just realising how many perks you lucky old buggers get from this school.

PS i also think your kids and family should be encouraged to not use cars and free up some spaces in the future !

gabriel1 Wrote:

> By the way Snorky, maybe it's time to get a new

> doormat, what with that "blunt instrument of

> control and the class system " sitting on it. It

> must be very unsightly, you want be careful the

> postman doesn't trip over it.

A social conscience is a terrible cross to bear, I will agree. Something that you will luckily not have to worry about it would seem.

sillywoman Wrote:

> As a family of 6

> members of that local community we, like Asset,

> have yet to see any benefit fro their existence.

>

I suppose that logic might apply to you and the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. RNLI is a charity and I would guess you have not yet seen any benefit from its existence.

>

> BTW I was told that the brilliant boot sales were

> simply a means to raise money for the

> redevelopment of the playing fields and cricket

> pavilion.

Every credit then to Alleyns for being self-reliant and organising car boot sales to raise funds develop facilities.

Would you rather they went running to the state for funds?

There's nothing to stop state schools from doing something similar. Is that something you might consider organising or helping out with?

You're making a lot of inaccurate assumptions about me GG.

I don't think that the thread is supposed to be that personal. It's irrelevant whether I help at school boot fairs or go sailing - it's about Alleyns and whether or not they are a cuckoo in the community nest.