Guy asking for money, then getting aggressive, near Sainsbury's on Lordship Lane

@Bloogsy08 - great to get it reported, so police are more vigilant in the area.

I think I'll still pop up to Dulwich library tomorrow to have a chat with the 'Safer Neighbourhood' team, even though the police now know about it. Can't harm to do so.

Good to hear from anyone else who may encounter this guy tonight?

Cheers

haven't come across this chap myself, although do know the bloke sitting by the bike lockers by the train station. he always seems quite polite, never seen him kick off.

some beggars are undoubtedly rogues and give the others a bad name, but a lot of the others are genuinely in a bad way and despite hostels, the big issue and various cash strapped charities, could do with some human contact.

Buy the big issue magazine if you never have, I think it's a good way to tackle homelessness and poverty and also a exceptionally great read. I'd prefer not to give money to beggars but occasionally do.

a grey area...

Semi-ginger, bird's-nest beard? Bit different from the OP's description. But. One never knows. I've never harvested more than a "God bless you" from the ED station bloke after a "Sorry, no".

TD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's a guy outside East Dulwich station

> everyday at about 6pm. He sits outside the bike

> lockers. He starts off with a polite request but

> if you don't give anything he becomes abusive. Not

> sure if it's the same guy

He also approached me tonight - clearly just after he'd been on Glengarry Rd. I was walking up Hillsboro Rd at 6.50 and when he started on his spiel I said, 'No,' and he started f'ing and blinding. He then headed off round the corner and onto Townley Rd towards Lordship Lane. I called 101 and reported it and they said they'd probably send a car to cruise round loking for him. I was tempted to call 999 as I suspect he might get more agitated and aggressive.

Ive encountered him twice on Matham Grove. The first time, just over a week ago, i had the hostel story and gave him a couple of quid. The 2nd time was Monday evening. When he started the story again I told him i wasnt falling for it twice and kept walking briskly. He started shouting and swearing and I didnt hang around. He does seem a bit unhinged and I would be cautious if you see him.

I've met the arm-gash guy several times, around Holborn. The story was he'd been knocked off his bike (although no bike to be seen) and wanted a taxi to Homerton Hospital. The gash may have been stage make-up but he may be self-harming - on one occasion, it did appear scabbed over so did not align with his bike accident story. Once I told him: "You told me that story last week". He just said "OK" and moved on to the next punter.

I haven't met this guy but hope he doesn't put people off being pleasant to others in need. I occasionally buy sandwiches for obviously homeless folk who sit outside Aldi in Catford as I often pick up my shopping. I only do it for those that are pleasant though. I never used to, but watching one guy struggling with his bags of medication he'd just collected made me, he told me what he needed was water to take his tablets with....

Fingers crossed the one you've talked about will move on soon

• 2 months later...
He is still there outside East Dulwich station. Be aware he targets elderly people, I had to intervene when he preceeded to follow an elderly chap after he refused to give them money. The elderly gentleman was quite shaken, so please be aware.

Mike - yes quite possibly the guy needs help, but at the same time nobody likes feeling threatened... the concerns are legitimate. People need to make a stand and not give into his bullying. Show him his tactics do not work.

Agree it sounds intimidating but also agree with Mike he might have mental health issues and need help. So perhaps he cannnot rationalise the success or otherwise of his 'tactics'. For example the fact that he shouted at someone who did give him money as well as all those who didn't seems a bit odd, no? Sadly funding for mental health care is not what it should be.

No it's not, but Jeremy is spot on that mental health or not, people have a right to say they're intimidated by intimidating behaviour.

There was a big chap who punched a few people by the CPT a few years back. He thought I was the devil because I was wearing a black hat.

Clearly the guy was not well, and everyone realised that, but it still would have hurt (a lot) if he'd caught you with a punch.

A guy asking for money smashed a front window on Landells Road a few days ago. My friend was an eye witness and has just this morning mentioned this incident but I don't have any more details or a description. Could possibly be the same guy so worth reporting if you encounter him.