Dog (on dog) Attack in Peckham Rye Park

Last Friday, 6th March about 3.30pm, two large collie type dogs (mainly black, with brown and white mix coat) savaged our labrador and dragged her off by the throat and leg. Unfortunately my teenage daughter was walking our dog at the time and whilst she was screaming for help (which nobody came to her aid) the owner (middle-aged, balding, white) kicked his dogs off and disappeared with them. My daughter was so distraught that she threw up in the park after she had managed to get our dog back. We need to find out who this person is, and to warn others. Our dog has a three inch tear in her neck and puncture wounds and a tear in her back leg (emergency vet saved the day with stitching and stapling). The police can't do anything as it's 'dog on dog'. The warden, Mark Newell, has been informed, as well as his colleague, Andy, who thinks he has spotted this guy.If anybody has any information please let me know. Thanks

Really sorry to hear this but can't help with any ID because I never take my dogs to that park anymore.

The same thing happened to me years ago and because they are small, I can't risk taking them anywhere where dogs are running free.

So it's been pavement walks ever since.

I did bump into a friend in Dulwich Park recently. She has a toy dog and said she feels much safer there because the dogs are friendlier/less aggressive. So maybe worth thinking about in the future.

Hope your dog is OK x

I am shocked and appalled that the man involved did not do the decent thing and not only help your daughter but ensure he paid your vet bills. His actions are highly irresponsible and he must be found for the simple reason that having done this once his dogs may well do it again.

We will all keep an eye out for the man and dogs matching your description.

Should you wish, contrary to what the police say, you may have some recourse in the law but it may not be easy or straightforward. Unfortunately two or more dogs can sometimes 'pack' and turn on another dog. Even normally placid dogs may, in a duo or group,turn quite nasty There could be many reasons for this type of behaviour but what is clear is that the owner needs to have his dogs under close control (on a lead) around other dogs in future.

I hope your girl is healing well. Generally labs are pretty resilient and provided you stay confident she will hopefully mark the experience down as an odd one off. If she starts to to seem anxious around other dogs I'd suggest you see someone.

Shocked to hear this and I hope your dog is doing ok. I walk my dog there very regularly and in recent years, I've never had any issues. It makes me so angry to hear things like this as I'm sure it wasn't the first time... If my dog ever showed unprovoked aggression towards any other dog I wouldn't hesitate to muzzle her.

I'm so sorry your dog and daughter had to go through this, can you be a bit more specific on the description of the dogs? Most collies are fairly small, were they long haired or shorthaired? Lab size or bigger or smaller? Sorry to be a pain, just trying to help, love to your daughter and dog xx

No it's not this man his dogs are very placid and he comes in the mornings , this other man and collies were afternoon visitors and as far as the park attendant is aware is a new dog walker to the park ?!

I've been going with my dog every day for four and half years and never seen anyone fitting this discription .

I really feel for serindipity1 as his other dog was attacked ( a very small dog) in bellenden only 3 weeks before nearly killing his dog . It's cost him over ?1000 in vet bills and left him with two very beautiful and sweet natured and scarred dogs ! Thank god they neather seem traumatised by these attacks

I'd advise that your daughter does not walk your dog on her own, certainly for a while and don't walk her near where she was attacked.

You want to reduce any associations with tbe experience of being attacked as much as possible, this will aid the dog recovering mentally. Stay very upbeat and jolly with her. Try not to feel sorry for her, she needs to feel she is safe and a calm, upbeat manner will help her most.

Sorry to hear such a horrible story. It's such a lovely park, it's really sad to have it spoiled for your family by this idiot dog owner/walker. I hope we can challenge idiots like this so that everyone can enjoy the park.

Frustrating too to hear the police situation:

------------------------------

Serendipity1 wrote:

"police can't do anything as it's 'dog on dog'"

------------------------------

There may be practical reasons why the Police can't take action, but there are no legal reasons. Are they trying to fob dog owners off?

Some extracts from the GOV.UK website https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview :

- It?s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere

- A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

it injures someone?s animal

the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

- You can be fined up to ?20,000 or sent to prison for up to 6 months (or both) if your dog is dangerously out of control. You may not be allowed to own a dog in the future and your dog may be destroyed.

IANAL but I find it hard to credit that any court would not agree that this nasty incident meets the 'dangerously out of control' criteria.

The difficulty may be not having enough evidence to positively identify the offender, but it rather sounds like the Police aren't interested at all. Have they decided that they have better things to do than making our public parks safe for young ladies to walk their dogs in broad daylight without being terrorised??

I think they are actually often not aware of changes in the law. As you say, there might be grounds to make a case. The DDA has been tightened up and there us also civil law.You could also get a CPN (Community Protection Notice) out on the owner. This was made law in 2014 and both the parks and police should know this and they should have advised you. Re a CPN your case is exactly what this was designed to tackle. The Council and the police need to get their act together.

How unbelievably awful. I walk my dog in that park nearly every day (generally mornings but in the nicer weather sometimes afternoons) and I can honestly say I have never had a problem. I don't recognise the dogs you describe, but shall certainly keep and eye out. You must be so shocked by this, and your poor daughter!!

please don't stop walking there - and I think First Mate is right about trying to help her over the emotional damage. Maybe a call to the Rob the Dulwich Dog Man about how to take things forward so your Dog can enjoy walks again (when physically recovered)

I cannot believe the man did nothing - thats almost more shocking? I really hope this walker is caught and he learns how to take responsibility for his dogs.

very best wishes to you all.