So is Somerfield's turning into Sainsbury's?

Lidl offer some good specific items you cant get elsewhere, but I agree that they are very hit and miss and the store layout is dire. There is no way on earth anyone could do an entire weeks shop in one of those places, I seriously challenge anyone on here to try and do so, most of the cleaning products are just watered down muck.

OK I will sacrifice Woolies in Peckham if it means they wont try and take on Somerfield. But I would still rather see a Co-op or M&S at Somerfield site and Next or M&S at Woolies in Peckham.

Louisa.

Oh please let Lidl come to Lordship Lane. They do the best promotions for the most extraordinary things - eg the Peckham one offered riding boots, there have been gazebos etc. Also they do the best chocolate biscuits.

Update:

Spoke to a man who rang me directly today from a company who deal with all Somerfield enquiries. He informed me that the main store at the bottom of LL would remain and not be closing and that the additional store near The Plough would be an extra store. Apparantly it is something to do with sunday trading hours, and he informed me that the Co-operative buyout/merger was only completed a week ago and that both stores would in time be reverting to a Co-operative store format.

I hope this clears up any further speculation.

Louisa.

Guardian finance had an article about the Co-op buy out of Somerfield, apparently the old school ethical business model of the Co-operative is finally having its day...the store in Forest Hill Road has upped its game...and won't be sorry to say good bye to Somerfield which has been overpriced for a while, not to mention going in there in search of butter or butter based product to see the shelves empty...was forced to resort to Iceland...where at least they had some and it was cheap.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> he informed me that the

> Co-operative buyout/merger was only completed a

> week ago and that both stores would in time be

> reverting to a Co-operative store format.

>

>

xxxxxxx

Did he give you any idea of a timescale for that?

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lidl offer some good specific items you cant get

> elsewhere, but I agree that they are very hit and

> miss and the store layout is dire. There is no way

> on earth anyone could do an entire weeks shop in

> one of those places, I seriously challenge anyone

> on here to try and do so, most of the cleaning

> products are just watered down muck.

>

> OK I will sacrifice Woolies in Peckham if it means

> they wont try and take on Somerfield. But I would

> still rather see a Co-op or M&S at Somerfield site

> and Next or M&S at Woolies in Peckham.

>

> Louisa.

Louisa, you are chatting out of your arse. The cleaning products are good quality and they even do a vinegar eco-cleaner now. I get my weekly shop in Lidl except for fish and wholegrain rice which I buy in Rye Lane and whetever I grow in my garden.