> months

> > back nr Goose Green. Crack house doesnt conjur

> up

> > the same romantic images as an opium den does it

> ?

>

>

> No it doesn't Snorky. Besides I wouldn't take any

> drug that was named after a piece of my arse.

that actually conjures up an image of a crack house for me,,,,a dirty smelly hole.

I think both of AnotherPaul's original ideas are great.

Where is the nearest proper art supplies place? Goldsmith's College? Something that does fine art, graphics, and pots of everything for crafting toddlers, would be good.

And something like Brighton's Sussex Arts Club too (music, bars, DJs and bands, exhibitions, rooms to hire). Or do we have many mummies and not enough trendies?

An arts club, venue, bar, creative shop, rooms for hire and veggie restaurant all in one. Sounds great but who's going to start by asking the police to vacate?

'Too many mummies and not enough trendies?', maybe true, I think the trendies/arts people are here already, just obscured by all the 4x4s and consumer boredom.

A space/venue big enough would probably come from the council and require a massive chunk of arts funding. This sounds scarily big but why not, if Deptford can have the Laban and Creekside studios.

Hey - I believe the Herne has a limited late license for various events and live music. I think if anyone wnated to put something on - a one off, or once a month, they might be up for it?

The problem is, the whole of ED is too residential, and any late night frivolity will be frowned upon my tthe resident majority (35, 2.4, SUV etc)

a cultural centres doesn't have to involve loud banging music. Well? there is such a thing as sound proofing. There's no contemporary cultural venue in ED which, considering the newish populous, is daft. And if locals wanted it, such a space could be used to celebrate the life of Sir Cliff (resulting in swift deflation of local house prices).

Sussex AC has all kinds of stuff, including jazz. It's what people want it to be that counts. (Of course they have the big advantage of occupying a building that used to be a gentleman's sporting club, so almost made to measure.)

I suspect the powers-that-be would see ED as too wealthy now, and not meriting such projects. Whereas Deptford...or Peckham... So if the impetus is to come from anywhere, it's got to be from local people. We really do have few indoor amenities here.

If the po-lice are moving out in the medium term, this seems just the right time to start investigating that property.

Has anyone had any experience with lottery etc funding on community projects?

Ed too wealthy?! Maybe true but we shouldn't assume that goes against the area. There's a cutural network here (partly evidenced by this site) which would thrive if given a good modern venue - that would be hard to make work in Peckham (chavs/bling/crime etc). Tessa Jowell being our MP could prove an interesting dynamic in setting a centre up. Also, that the Olympics (?9bn worth of people wearing skimpy clothes) is coming up might be an opportunity to lever the govt. (local and national) into proving it's not just investing in sport.

Bad time for trying to get lottery funding. The Arts Council has just lost more than a 3rd of its normal lottery money to spend on one off grants and is scheduled to lose more of its core DCMS money (in 2009) though the lottery cuts are taking immediate effect. Its being diverted to the London 'Lympics

look here

and here

Its not just affecting the arts but all the lottery "good causes" - Heritage, the Arts, the Big Lottery (which is all the community and voluntary sector grants) and, oddly 99million quid from Sport.

detail on how it affects each of the good causes

The "arts" are threatening to withdraw support from the 'Lympics in protest. They may have no choice in any case if there's much less money to spend.

So - a major project not a great idea for the trying to fund from the lottery at the mo. There may be other ways. London development agency for example, there is financing available for social enterprise projects. There are existing agencies in southwark who might help - Southwark Arts Forum. Also, quite tricky to set up from scratch. Would be easier if we could congregate around a potential building and make it a hub for already existing organisations too - makes a stronger case for why its a resource that's needed.

There was something kind of odd and interesting happening in the old timber place in Peckham for a while...

The community centre on Darrell Road is well used but pretty run down physically and has quite a lot of space ....

Was walking down LL with Mrs Keef yesterday, and she commented that it would be great to have a really nice wool shop... A lot of yummy mummies are in to their knitting, and Mrs Keef says you have to go a fair distance to get really nie wool to make stuff, so that could be a winner......