Trendy W.I in East Dulwich?

It certainly is, 1st Wednesday of every month at 7.30pm above The Magnolia, Lordship Lane. Lovely bunch of ladies.

MakeHQ are very excited to be running a Making Beautiful Bunting session for their August meeting. Come and join us!

Mel

How would one go about joining or applying for the WI here? My Mum and Nan were keen WI'ers and I'm dead keen on cupcakes, chocolate, crafty-ness and go-girlness.

Is there a waiting list or an initiation or anything? (hope so on the latter) ;-).

Could someone please tell me what exactly is "trendy" about the WI in East Dulwich? Wasn't it always for women who are past 35, who like making bunting, jam and cake and wear "fun" skirts, "hotchpotch" dresses and have wirey hair?

What has changed (bats eyelashes)?

Are you a crazy bunch of crazy Justin Bieber groupies, smoking Mieow mieow, with full-sleeve tattoos, assorted intimate piercings and on a gap year?

dulwichmum

WI's have had a bit of a makeover recently with younger women keen to get involved. Look past the stereotypical image of the WI and see it as a group of women interested in learning new skills, looking to make new friends and improve their community. Maybe you should try it and see if you like it?

Sweet MissM and lovely Mellors,

What was wrong with the traditional WI?

The lovely women that I met with the delicious cakes at the "Trendy WI" stall on Goose Green a few summers back were perfectly delightful. But they were normal mothers in their mid thirties/early forties, typical of most mums in Dulwich. Is the fact that the meetings are now held in a pub really that outrageous?

Wasn't the WI always about learning skills, making friends and improving the community? I am genuinely not trying to be prickly, just curious to know what makes the new WI trendy.

Are you all wearing low slung jeans with your pantaloons on display?

Are you hosting lessons in burlesque or tantric sex, or God forbid ...(whispers) swingers?

Are you providing lessons on how to propagate hydroponic marijuana? I do not approve of illegal drug taking you know (frowns).

Are you having rap parties and garage dance lessons?

Would my 17 year old next door neighbor consider you trendy?

Just wondering, thats all...

Dear Delightful DulwichMum,

Thank you for your post, which has given me some great ideas for upcoming events. I shall propose ditching the bunting and buns and unleashing the nipple tassles and N-Dubz ;-)

Yours indebtedly,

MakeHQ

I'm neither a mum nor in my 30's / 40's so can't really comment on that, and I don't know how trendy your 17 year old neighbour is. I'm 26 and have always thought of the WI as being a bit dull until I went to the Shoreditch Sisters WI meeting with a friend and really enjoyed it, mainly because of the lovely people I met rather than the things they did.

It's not a new thing, it's just rebranded I guess and trying to appeal to a wider audience. If you want an national treasure like the WI to continue, you have to encourage new people to join and reaching out to younger groups seems obvious. Girl power...

If you want to see what they do, go here

vhttp://www.eastdulwichwi.co.uk/page14.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah Ha! you might see my post about my daughter in law... New Moms get togethers... thing is ... yes there ought to be something for the workers and other intelligent women at home during the day... You young girls... whats stopping you from starting something for yourselves? with all the topics and activities that are in tune with you all?

I heard a speech on Thursday at my son's graduation.... there are three types of people.....

Those that make things happen, Those who would like to see things happen, And those who wonder what happened!

P.S. If you have any youngish (28-35) new moms as friends... wouldnt they like to meet our Jules?