concerned about a man following me on peckham rye

i always get spooked by people running up behind me, and invariably move aside to let them pass.

The reason behind this is when I was mugged the perpetrator run up at me from behind.

As a rule men walking behind me don't unnerve me, unless they are very very close.

Hope police able do something,you done right thing sarah marie im glad you acted quickly no way was this guy just inoccently walking behind he deliebrately turned round floowed as you speeded up so did he had you not gone to house with light on i dont wish think what could have occured.i sure your very shaken up.

please do call 101 must be reported.

ffs did you even bother to read the OP Monkey? The guy changed direction to follow her. She wasn't describing a man walking behind her, but one that was walking towards her, and as he passed tried to engage with her, and then having past her, changed direction to follow her. I think that would creep most people out on a dark road with no-one around, let alone an isolated female.

monkeylite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Gosh, I better make sure I never walk behind

> anyone in East Dulwich for fear of being accused

> as an immigrant rapist mugger. :rolleyes:

No, but you might get accused of being a complete bellend.

I used to live in New York in the 80's and 90's.

I always felt safer there than anywhere in London whilst walking round especially at night.

And before anyone assumes I was in a salubrious area no-it was SoHo pre-gentrification, Lower East side, and China Town.

There were always cops a few blocks away, and no shortage of taxis waiting vacant should you not wish to walk home from a bar late at night.

In London....Theres never any police on the streets.

And forget getting a taxi on the street at night, especially if you are south of the river or want to travel there.

I would be vigilant and report it to the police. I work and live in the area and I got an email at work the other day from Kings College saying that they had been told by the police that there had been a serious of sexual attacks on women in Ruskin Park during the day recently. They advised to stick to not walking on your own if possible and if you have to, be aware, don't be on your phone or distracted and like this lady correctly did, if you're worried head to a safe place like a house with lights on.

Stay safe everyone!

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i always get spooked by people running up behind

> me, and invariably move aside to let them pass.

> The reason behind this is when I was mugged the

> perpetrator run up at me from behind.

> As a rule men walking behind me don't unnerve me,

> unless they are very very close.

I stand aside and watch them go past if anyone gets too close, or give them a glare and hurry past.

Whichever - I don't take my eye off them - which is rude if they are innocent.

It's getting to the point that beggars are following people, begging again. It's not been like that for a few years.

Also someone has put a note on the noticeboard in our block about persistent harassment of women around here.