Can anyone give me advice on travelling around South America?

sayerjess

Hi there!

I've booked a trip to South America in March, flying to Peru and doing a tour ending in Bolivia. Then flying to Rio and doing a tour to Argentina.

Can anyone give me any advice for my trip. I know there is a lot of political unrest and am a little nervous about it!

MORE excited, but would like to chat to people who have travelled S.America to gain an idea of what to expect.

I would really appreciate it!

Many thanks!

Jess :)

My buddy went about ten years ago and started off in Peru and got mugged by a guy weilding a machette in the middle of nowhere, and lost all the money he was carrying around $300 from his 'secret' body belt.

He reckoned you could get robbed for your back-pack or just your boots.

Ideally you need to travel in a largish group, never alone.

Hi Jess,

Lucky you!

I've also made a little solo trip of my own around South America including the countries that you mention. Am happy to share a few stories/hints/tips with you. Am off out now though so will drop you a PM or post here later on this W/E if you are interested.

Don't worry too much about SteveT's horror story of a machete wielding mugger - of course, there is a chance you could get robbed at knifepoint anywhere in South America but then the same could be said all over the world.

(Steve T - not for one second am I disputing your mate's story and it does pay to be cautious, but let's not scare Jess before she's even got to the airport;-) )

My girlfriend is from Colombia. She's back at 7p.m so I'll get her to log on them. From my experience the northern half of the continent such as Colombia and Venezuela have vastly improved in the last ten years but avoid the Orinoco area like the plague as it's still a F.A.R.C and E.L.N stronghold. Bolivia and Peru still have active Shining Path factions so kidnapping is still a weekly occurance. If you want added protection go to a hotel where western contractors are based (you can find out where they are through the newspaper vendors with foreign papers but only in the larger cities) and when you find these people they'll put you in touch with people who can supply you with handguns.

Hi,

Sounds like a fantastic trip, I'm very jealous.

I agree with Horsebox's comments, don't let other people's negative stories put off your trip. If you take sensible precautions and listen to local advice, then you'll be fine. Six years ago, I spent seven months travelling around South America including Peru, Bolivia and Argentina and didn't encounter any problems and had a fantastic time. Bolivia is one of the favourite countires I've been to and Peru and Argentina aren't far behind.

PM me if you would like any more advice/tips.

Dave

Hi Jess

I spent four months exploring south america (brazil, bolivia, peru) on a budget on my own a few years back and had a great time Inever once felt threatened or in danger - I had more problems from a bad stomach bug! I found that I was never actually travelling alone as I met up with people along the way. Feel free to PM me if you would like specific advice/info.

I also spent 2 months travelling around S America on my own. (I went back with my boyfriend and spent another 6 months' there). I agree with sanity girl - travelling alone means you are able to meet more people on the way...as long as you have a good book (and the book swaps are great for this), you'll be fine.... Very jealous!

I loved Bolivia and Argentina..although Peru, Chile and Brazil cannot be sniffed at (no pun intended).

You'll be fine. Peru's ok for the most part in the well trodden areas, trouble really only in the hinterland and shining path almost a thing of the past.

Bolivia's pretty safe too.

Rio, well, wear a money belt.

Argentina as safe as here (for what that's worth) and Chile too.

You'll have a brilliant time.

Argentina's brilliant - go to Patagonia and see the glaciers, up to the Iguazu Falls to see the ummm, Iguazy Falls and go clubbing in Buenos Aires.

If you have a local you can tour with do try and go to Colombia, it is a little bit dodgy but a fantastic place. I went to Bogot?, Cartagena, Baranquilla and Sierra Nevada de Santa Martao and they are all well worth the visit, the friendliness of the locals alone make it it worthwhile.

I travelled solo around South America when I was 23 (and was blonde at the time) and never encountered any problems (maybe was a bit jammy, I wasn't always that well behaved). However at the time I spoke Spanish pretty much fluently and so managed to really get to know the locals and got loads out of the trip and this possibly made me look less vunerable or nervous. I did hear stories though so it's worth not getting too complacent. If it's really late at night get a cab home with someone else etc...

The only probs I encountered were the Peruvian transport strikes. Absolute nightmare.

I went through Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Arg (bit of Uruguay/Chile) and had a blast. I would say the only places I felt a little jittery were Lima (but was my first point of call) and Quito at 4am.

Personally, didn't warm to Peruvians (although of course this is a sweeping generalisation, there were some lovely people). Just found they were a bit resentful of you being there. Loved Ecuadorians and Bolivians (Bolivia had the lovliest people).

Buenos Aires is my favourite place on the planet and you will eat like a queen (also throughout Arg. in general). I've been back recently and although prices have risen a lot, what you get for your money is great. Good quality bottle of red, thick steak, chips and salad for two people, i'd say about ?10 per head for a nice restaurant in Palermo. You could do it a lot cheaper though.

Also did Iguazu recently which was worth going the extra mile for. Other favourite things/places include:

Ecuador - Cuenca, Banos, the Devil's Nose Train Journey, Canoa, Vilcabamba.

Peru - Trekking in Huaraz, Inca Trail and Cusco, Colca Canyon and Arequipa, Lake Titicaca

Bolivia - Salt Flats (I did it from Tupiza - a bit quieter than Uyuni and quite a cool place), La Paz, The World's Most Dangerous Road, Potosi.

Arg - Salta, Mendoza, Buenos Aires, Iguazu, Bariloche - down to Patagonia.

One thing to mention is, being on your own is the best way to travel. South America isn't full of bus loads of 18 year olds who all know eachother from home. There are some of course, but most go to Oz and Nz. Most people are a little bit older and lots of people are on their own so it's really easy to make friends, especially if you aim for hostels with a kitchen or bar area.

Anyway, back to work...